Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2005, 07:31 AM

Default Milwaukee\'s Best commercial

I feel that the current wave of Milwaukee's best commercials are overtly homophobic. The motto "Men should act like men," seems to suggest that there is a certain appropriate code of behavior for men to follow, and that anyone who deviates from that code deserves to have a large heavy object dropped on them suddenly as to cause immediate death, without due process or presumed innocense.

Also, the activities which are considered unmanly include finding interest in a stray dog over examining a car engine, removing excess grease from a pizza in the interest of health, telephoning a spouse in order to ease her worrys, and showing up at a party bearing a home-made cake in the interest of being generous. None of these behaviors do I find unmanly. In fact, many of them are quite admirable and responsible.

I find this advertising to be ignorant and stereotypical. I do not feel that responsible behavior or non-stereotypical macho behavior should be a cause for injury or outcast. I feel this advertising may encourage violence and outcasting of others, which is an inappropriate message for any commercial.

All this being said, Milwaukee's best is probably the worst beer on the planet, and it is no wonder their advertising follows suit.

-J
Old 11-28-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Milwaukee\'s Best commercial

If "real men" drink Milwaukee's Best, then I am going to be coming out very soon. And I don't mean, telling a few of my friends. I mean "It's Raining Men" coming out. Because, that beer is disgusting and by their logic, me not liking it does not make me a "real man".

craig
Old 11-28-2005, 08:18 AM

Stop caring about nothing. The commercials are funny, you nit.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:31 AM

You sound like a lot of fun.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:50 AM

how is there anything homophobic about the commercials?

edit: quick reply is stupid, i wasn't talking to beermoney
Old 11-28-2005, 09:44 AM

I dislike these commercials too, not because of homophobia, just because they're part of this trend that tends to support a somewhat anti-intellectual, overly macho view of the avg male. Same with the stupid Howie Long truck adds and everything else. It's not homophobia, it's just a celebration of being meatheaded that I can't totally get behind.

I have no idea how JJJJJJJustin isn't banned.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dislike these commercials too, not because of homophobia, just because they're part of this trend that tends to support a somewhat anti-intellectual, overly macho view of the avg male. Same with the stupid Howie Long truck adds and everything else. It's not homophobia, it's just a celebration of being meatheaded that I can't totally get behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. we are 100% in agreement
Old 11-28-2005, 09:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and showing up at a party bearing a home-made cake in the interest of being generous.

[/ QUOTE ]

ummm they are wearing matching shirts
Old 11-28-2005, 09:52 AM

I could be missing a certain "i knew you knew i knew" degree of sarcasm here, but people are taking this too seriously. this thread seems like it's an obvious joke reflecting the recent string of "is this phrase racist?" threads we've had.

if not, then, well.. the OP is gay.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:54 AM

Homophobic, woah chief, there is no way a gay man would be caught dead wearing the same shirt as his partner. Personally, the commercials are funny, and Im sick of the whole effiminate is hot trend.

EDIT- I JUST had to put this in, I really cant believe how big of a douche bag the OP is, it is mind blowing that some people think this nit-like.