Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 10:35 AM

Default Re: I don\'t check raise enough (PS5/10)

[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop would do nothing to protect the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why on earth are you worried about protecting your hand?
Old 11-17-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Raising the flop would do nothing to protect the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why on earth are you worried about protecting your hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahaha. This is my favorite misconception. Sets rarely need protection and they definitely don't need it on this flop. Not betting the river is criminal. Absolutely criminal. Elementary hand reading seems to indicate noone has an ace. What hand do you expect to bet AND call a raise? What hands do you expect to call a river bet? Hmmmm....

Krishan
Old 11-17-2005, 12:56 PM

I only gave a cursory look here, but this hand is an abomination. By a quick count you lost about 7.5 BB in this hand. That is a good player's profit for 300 hands. Any ace and any king is going all the way to the river. Not to mention any draws that would pay to see more cards.

There are a number of lines you could have taken here. This was the worst one. In trying to squeeze an extra BB or two you gave up a huge amount of profit. I dream of flopping a set on an ace high board. There may be no hand that is as profitable. You really should have come away from this hand winnning a big pot.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:00 PM

Think Iīd bet the flop as check-raising the guy who didnīt pfr tends to freeze people up and it gives very little info about my hand.
Having checked I would raise anyway, trapping two players is fine.
If UTG is very aggro, then you could bet-3bet the turn, but with your read, you should take control earlier.

River is a bet, people will pay off light when there havenīt been much action.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:20 PM

i would c/r this flop and lead the turn no matter what my read was. people call down with A's here.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Bet the flop!!! Sets on Ace hi flop need to be played fast. Never ever miss an opportunity to bet/raise. Never....I repeat never hit the check or call button with a set on an Ace hi flop!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't we pay attention to relative position any more? There's a very likely flop bet coming from the guy to our immediate left. I like a flop check-raise in those circumstances. Build the pot.

There's no need to worry about protection with a hand like a set: unless you're already losing, you've got waaaay the best of it and want the money going in.

Guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. You don't want to bet the flop and have UTG raise out the field. I would certinly c/r that flop and build that pot.

In many situations leading your set can be correct but not in a big multi-way pot when its likely the guy to your left will bet.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:24 PM

Yeah I have a hand posted right now where no one likes my action on any street--but its not this bad.

Yeah, either bet--intending to 3-bet the flop or c/r it. In isolation its OK to miss a turn c/r--it happens to us all from time the time but with your nothing on the flop and then nothing on the river I can only guess you got disconnected or something?

Also if you are using some kind of HeadsUpDisplay you should do stats with AFs by street--this stuff helps a lot with making the decision between betting or trying for the c/r.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:56 PM

betting the flop is retarded.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:08 PM

Thanks for all the replies... I probably tilt checked the river. But I did get a bit to think about and hopefully learn.
results: SB had JTo and UTG had 88. so mhig. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2005, 05:58 PM

So the line is check-raise/bet/bet-call? Or check on the river hoping to induce a bluff or lose less to a flush?