Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 10:40 AM

Default Re: ggban has had 37 drinks...now what?

The biggest worry is him choking on his vomit. It's not a good idea to leave him alone with a full stomach.

If you can't miss your flight and you are worried about him dieing just stick your finger down his throat. If he pukes then the number one cause of death has been all but eliminated. If he doesn't puke because his gag reflex has been sedated from the alcohol then you have a bit of a problem. You can try Syrup Of Ipecac once, then again in 20 minutes, and if that doesn't work then you MUST NOT LEAVE. If he is sweating, clammy skin, dialed pupils, fast/slow breathing/heartbeat, or unable to be woken up no matter how hard you smack him, then I wouldn't leave without forcing him to puke or getting someone to watch him. Those symptoms are not required for alcohol poisoning.

Also, remove all hard objects surrounding the bed. If he falls off the bed he must not hit his head on anything hard. Leave water by the bed, put him on his left side, etc.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Re: Also...

[ QUOTE ]

You can definitely have alcohol poisoning without throwing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Also, it's easier to throw up in your sleep than many think.

I attended, and gave a speech, at a funeral of a well mannered IU business student that choked on his vomit in his sleep after a formal. His BAC was .206. Everyone thought he was pretty sober when he went to bed.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the only thing u can do is get the room for him for one more night and have josh check on him before his flight leaves at 11pm

i dont think hes gonna die...when ur drunk u lose count of ur drinks somewhere along the line...im not saying hes not drunk outta his mind...but i doubt hes in danger

try and get him up and going...if u cant fluff his pillow...leave him a note so hes not confused as hell when he wakes up....set a drink of water by him and catch ur flight

[/ QUOTE ]

Worst advice ever. Assuming he's not going to die, just because you don't think so, is about as dumb and irresponsible as you can get.

The BARE minimum you can do is check his vital signs and that will only be mildly effective if he hasn't had a drink in 2-3 hours.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:10 AM

Default Re: Also...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You can definitely have alcohol poisoning without throwing up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Also, it's easier to throw up in your sleep than many think.

I attended, and gave a speech, at a funeral of a well mannered IU business student that choked on his vomit in his sleep after a formal. His BAC was .206. Everyone thought he was pretty sober when he went to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Count me in as one of the few who actually understands how easy this is. After downing a 1.75L of vodka with my friend over the course of an evening, I went to bed.

Luckily my roommate hadn't been drinking and heard me choking to death in the middle of the night.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If he is talking to you, you have nothing to worry about. Put him on his stomach and take off. If he was so bad he'd have puked by now. I'm sure he's bombed, and if he misses his midterm it sucks for him, but live and learn, ya know?
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad advice.

You either:
1-Put him on his side and lay one arm above the head and the other arm across the chest. Prop up one leg by bending the knee.

2-You lay them on their side and prop them up with a pillow. Gravity helps clear the puke.

3-The fetal position works too.

Also, just because they are talking doesn't mean the 5 shots they took in the last 10 minutes have hit them yet.

I'm kind of in shock at the poor advice given in this entire thread to tell you the truth. Especially since so many quality posters have replied and it's 150 posts long.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's the worst option, what kind of vag calls an ambulance on his passed out buddy? Especially an underage buddy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling an ambulance is a no-brainer if he had 37 drinks. It's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

You are looking at the wrong information to make this conclusion.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:34 AM

If a friend of mine called the ambulance because he felt it was neccesary at the time, i would not hold it against him later. If i am not able to convey that i am going to be fine, then it's probably in my best interest, and it's up to me to deal with the consequences. Fortunatley this time around it was not neccesary, but i think the most important thing is always someones saftey. Paying a fine or getting punished for underage drinking is small peanuts compared to the alternative.

Also, bear in mind all this drinking was over half a day, so that certainly has to factor into the thinking about whether or not medical assistance is required.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyhow, I was talking to deathdonkey and said something about what peachy said to do...to which gabe immediately sat up, said "peachy's a bitch" and then "lets catch that flight"...and we went.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved this bit. I have now completely forgiven you for making an ass of yourself. Great stuff.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:58 AM

I agree, hell I've even called an ambulance on people.

But calling an ambulance just because they had 37 drinks is stupid. Some people need an ambulance at 16 drinks, others can drink 40 with relative ease.

EDIT: when I said "poor advice in this entire thread" earlier, I that did not include sublimes or masons posts.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:01 PM

Agreed. I happen to come from a family which can drink lots of alcohal. I know people who would literally be dead from as much i drank, but i suspect i could do it again without needing medical assistance. That said, i still put myself in a situation where i could have done something very stupid and costly. Hell, even getting outlandish enough for them to card me could have cost me a few grand. I think the point is everyone has different limits, and everyone should respect theirs more than i did.