Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2004, 11:24 AM

Default Too Aggro With A3s Here?

Villain isn't brutal, my whole stack has been built through steals. Was just about to change things up but for some reason I decided to push one more.

$5 PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed)

BB (t4222)
UTG (t3079)
MP (t771)
Button (t2067)
Hero (t3361)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t200, MP folds, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t3361</font>

Just generally, how does everyone feel about pushing to 1 or 2 limpers? I actually used to fold this as whenever someone limped I would automatically eliminate stealing as an option.

Also, assume you are going to try to steal this, is pushing really the best bet size? I can't remember the last time I put in a normal raise 4 or 5 handed (regardless of my stack) but perhaps this isn't optimal play.

Thx
Old 11-06-2004, 11:41 AM

Default Re: Too Aggro With A3s Here?

Pushing t3300 to win t500 doesn't make much sense. Aside from that, some information about the player would be nice. How often does he open limp, open raise, etc? Is he limping and calling raises with marginal hands? If you have been stealing very often, he could be limping with the hope you make a move on the pot. Is there a specific reason you feel like a raise to t800 or somewhere around there is not enough to make this player fold? Are you saying the only time you play 4-5 handed is when you are all in?
Old 11-06-2004, 11:59 AM

I generally try to avoid pushing to steal when I have significantly more than 10xbb chips. The deeper your stack is relative to the chips in the pot/blinds, the less of an impact your fold equity has on the EV of this play.

If you don't feel a standard-ish raise here (600-800) would successfully steal the pot, maybe reconsider your options.

Lately I've been treating limpers in this situation as just extra dead money to steal, as they -usually- won't come along for a raise unless they were slowplaying something (it happens). I do tighten up my stealing requirements in this situation a little bit, to account for the fools that will limp then call all-in with their KJo, low pair, or Ax type hand.

For example, if I had K5 in the SB, and it was folded around, I am definately stealing. If someone limped, though, I might let it go.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:07 PM

He hasn't done anything stupid, I've seen him lay down the one time he limped and was raised. And yes, I've been pushing pretty much everything I would normally steal with when its 3-5 handed. More as an experiment than anything else. I'm not liking the results and will probably revert to 3x BB if my stack is 10xBB+