Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2005, 08:23 PM

Default Advice for a (fairly) new player

Hi everyone, I'm a 19 year old university student from England and I started playing poker about 7 months ago. I began with just $20 on Total Poker (not a very well known or popular site, but I started playing there because a friend told me the players were particularly loose) and I've managed to turn that into several thousand. I started with the micro limit tables and have worked my way up to $3/$6. I then began playing on Pacific Poker, where I've done pretty much the same thing and made a healthy amount so far.

OK, now I've got my life story out of the way, time for some questions.

I recently started playing cash games after reading up on no-limit and pot-limit, and although I've had some success I find the swings too much to deal with. The reason why I started playing cash games is because I found the players on the limit tables too loose, and it became difficult to make a reliable profit. Should I try limit on another site instead of Total Poker? Pacific Poker doesn't seem as bad.

Another thing that I need advice on is winning over my parents. They want me to do well at university, but I'm not really enjoying my course and poker has begun to take over my life. My dad is being very closed-minded about it and I don't think he realises the skill involved, or the fact that there are people out there playing poker for a living and making large amounts of money. Where do I go from here? I don't want to upset my parents by failing/dropping out of university, but I don't want to quit poker either because I find it so enjoyable and I feel I've got a knack for it now that would be a shame to waste. I mean, I haven't lost a single penny so I can't be that bad... can I?

Any help will be much appreciated [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]