Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 08:49 PM

Default Is this very abnormal for Party? My high pockets are losing!

Seems like it's a bit much, even considering the masses of fish I have to wade through. I realize it's still a pretty small sample size, but aren't these hands supposed to be like... some of the only sure winners?

One might think I were playing them especially poorly, but I really don't think that's the case. I bet, raise and fold where appropriate in almost every one of those hands. High pockets have all been reliable big winners for me over tens of thousands of hands on Pokerstars and ultimate Bet, yet it seems like they never hold up unimproved on Party. Is this just an anamoly?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:54 PM

Default Re: Is this very abnormal for Party? My high pockets are losing!

yes, and you already knew that.

1800 hands and you're trying to figure things out about specific hands...
Old 06-26-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yes, and you already knew that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I absolutely did not know that. Why else would I be asking? Maybe it's typical for those hands to only win half the time when half of the table stays to the river. I wouldn't know, I'm new to the site. That's why I'm asking...
Old 06-26-2005, 08:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this just an anamoly?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. The idea that these hands "Never hold up on Party" was, for a while, "These hands never hold up on Pacific" for me. It's all in your head. Play 10,000 hands and then check again. You must be aware that not even 2,000 hands isn't enough to conclude anything, right?
Old 06-26-2005, 08:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You must be aware that not even 2,000 hands isn't enough to conclude anything, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I've drawn no conclusion, but I was concerned by it enough to come ask those who've played far more than me.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:08 PM

Its just sample size. After you get a lot of hands they will be your biggest winners. Ive gone through periods where aces and kings had 40% win for like 5000 hands. You might post some of these hands though if you feel you might have played them poorly or are unsure about them.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:10 PM

If you're concerned that you might get drawn out on at Party more often than at any other site, that's your main problem. Remember we want all those people to try to draw out on us so we can make more money, so if they happen to get the best of you for a (very) short period of time, don't let it bother you.
Old 06-26-2005, 09:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You must be aware that not even 2,000 hands isn't enough to conclude anything, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Right. I've drawn no conclusion, but I was concerned by it enough to come ask those who've played far more than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

come on dude do you understand variance at all? you've been dealt them 47times .. thats nothing absolutely nothing, it happens ..
Old 06-27-2005, 06:30 PM

I figured 47 was enough for a little concern. I guess I was wrong.

Anyway, this is what I'm talking about. All 3 hands from one short session today.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Flop: (16 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls.

Turn: (15 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(7 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 calls, Hero calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds.

River: (21 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 21 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has 6h 6d (one pair, sixes).
UTG+1 has Th 9d (two pair, tens and nines).
MP2 has 2s 8s (two pair, eights and twos).
MP3 has As Td (one pair, tens).
Hero has Kh Kc (one pair, kings).
SB has 7c Ah (high card, ace).
Outcome: UTG+1 wins 21 BB. </font>

------------------------------------------------

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. UTG+2 posts a blind of $0.5. MP1 posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 (poster) calls, MP1 (poster) calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, SB calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (26 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 3-bets</font>, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, SB calls.

Turn: (21 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, SB calls.

River: (25 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds, SB calls.

Final Pot: 28 BB

SB has 9h 8h (two pair, nines and sevens).
BB has 9s 7s (full house, sevens full of nines).
Hero has Kc Kd (two pair, kings and sevens).
Outcome: BB wins 28 BB. </font>

------------------------------------------------

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, CO calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10.25 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

River: (16.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, CO calls.

Final Pot: 19.25 BB

BB has Ts Td (two pair, tens and eights).
Hero has Ah Ad (two pair, aces and eights).
CO has Ac 8d (three of a kind, eights).
Outcome: CO wins 19.25 BB. </font>

How can I ever expect to win with these hands if betting strong doesn't get anyone out? It's maddening!
Old 06-27-2005, 06:34 PM

If you have pocket aces at a full 10 person table and EVERYONE sees every card you will win 33% of the time. I think that number is actually quite high considering you would expect to win only 10% of the hands if they all played in this manner.

I don't know about the other pockets and I'm sorry I can't give a formula for this. Just something to think about.