Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: 99 flops set, but scary board

[ QUOTE ]
If they won't fold, then charge them two bets instead of one to continue. If they accept the less favorable odds you are offering them via a double bet the wager becomes more favorable to you. If the odds they accept don't justify the call, you will then make money on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get this line of reasoning at all. Who is going to bet the flop? Checking and having this checked through and giving a free card is criminal. You must lead out here. With a board this draw heavy a c/r will not protect your hand. Bet for value and build the pot - you have a big EV edge over your opponent's possible holdings.

Without a read I'd call this river, but I wouldn't be holding my breath. Pray he has 55.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If they won't fold, then charge them two bets instead of one to continue. If they accept the less favorable odds you are offering them via a double bet the wager becomes more favorable to you. If the odds they accept don't justify the call, you will then make money on them.

[/ QUOTE ]I don't get this line of reasoning at all. Who is going to bet the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]How about the preflop raiser on the button?

[ QUOTE ]
Checking and having this checked through and giving a free card is criminal. You must lead out here.

[/ QUOTE ] I agree about not wanting to give a free card. But why do you think Button is going to check this through?

[ QUOTE ]
With a board this draw heavy a c/r will not protect your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
An OES or Flush Draw will still have correct odds to call, but a checkraise will make a gutshot and many other hands incorrect to call where betting out and facing them with one bet does not. And what makes you think both BB and UTG have 8 and 9 out OES and FDs? Maybe only one of them or neither one of them have that. And even if an OESD or FD is out there, why would you want to offer them 10:1 by betting out if you have the choice of offering them 5:1 with a checkraise?

[ QUOTE ]
Bet for value and build the pot - you have a big EV edge over your opponent's possible holdings

[/ QUOTE ]
Checkraising builds the pot more than betting out, so that serves this purpose you state better than betting out also. An exception would be if button will raise after you bet out in which case you could three-bet, but counting on him to raise after you bet into him and his preflop raise is far more risky than counting on him to bet if you check.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:20 PM

Even with a check raise here you are giving people the correct odds to draw to a flush/straight since you are giving them 5,5-1 to call. But it's alot worse than the 9-1 you give them when you open.

I check/raise the flop here. Don't bet that river unless you are doing a bet/fold. Any hand that raise you have you beat.