Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: I have several essential cell phone calls that I need to make during any given commute.
False 12 80.00%
True 3 20.00%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-21-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: Johnny Damon signs with Yankees

i disagree, it is awesome on all levels.

i have shown with math on page one how this is incorrect.

we seem to have this argument anytime the yankees sign somebody. i look at it from a pure value standpoint, and you basically ignore the cost to achieve the production that comes with it.

in order to place a monetary value on a 'run', you need to compare what other teams pay for that run. if you do that, its impossible not to deduct that johnny damons production is not worht 13m in 2006 and it gets worse after that.

so while the player may be good and fit needs, the cost to attain him is still too high.

this deal in 06 is not fiscally sound. in 09, its really bad.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:05 AM

btw i am suprised the sox did not match the yankees offer

im not in the least bit surprised. i am estatic they didnt sign him at that price.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:08 AM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.

[ QUOTE ]

im not in the least bit surprised. i am estatic they didnt sign him at that price.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm happy they didn't match as well, but I am slightly surprised. They must be sure they can get Reed or Crisp for a reasonable price.

Seeing a clean-cut Damon again will be strange.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm happy they didn't match as well, but I am slightly surprised. They must be sure they can get Reed or Crisp for a reasonable price.

Seeing a clean-cut Damon again will be strange.

[/ QUOTE ]

i would love to see jeremy reed in CF next year. his UZR rating was apparently AWESOME. the cost will probably be arroyo though.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is a terrible signing for the Yankees.

i dont either, when you compare it to the chan ho park signing.

its awful. period. you just cant look and say "well he will be good in 2005 and 2006" you have to look at the money he is getting and what he will produce over the life of the contract. its a [censored] signing, and if it was any other team in baseball who did it the laughing would be hard to stop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or if you compare it with the Rafael Furcal signing. Or if you compare it with the A.J. Burnett signing. Or if you compare it with the Hideki Matsui signing. Or if you compare it with the Billy Wagner signing. Or if you compare it with the Washburn signing. Or if you compare it with the Giles signing.

You project him at 33.8 BRAR in 2006 at the age of 32. Let's say 31 BRAR in 2007 at 33. At age 34 project 27 and at age 35 project 23. That projects to 28.75 BRAR at $13M per year, 2.21 BRAR per $M. Definitely not terrible. Then you have to discount the crapiness of the end of the deal, since winning in 2006 is more important than winning in 2009. Any of the six top payrolls could have made this deal. In fact, any team in "win now" mode should have considered it, including your mighty Red Sox.

Then you have to look at the bottom line on this deal. The Yankees and Red Sox tied for the division last season. This deal makes the Yankees better and the Red Sox worse...signifincantly.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sublime, damon might start to be a little old and creaky when it gets to the 2nd half of the long term deal but then i think he will have considerable market value and the yankees will be able to deal him for another player (probably a young lefty, when moose and randy retire that deal will probably fill the gaps in the rotation).
Old 12-21-2005, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

sublime, damon might start to be a little old and creaky when it gets to the 2nd half of the long term deal but then i think he will have considerable market value and the yankees will be able to deal him for another player (probably a young lefty, when moose and randy retire that deal will probably fill the gaps in the rotation).

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i forgot there is a huge market for 34 year old center fielders who get paid 13m a year. teams will probably be figting to take him off the yankees hands and will be giving up left handed starters.

have you slept this week? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

A deal like this would only occur if the Yankees paid >50% of his salary and gave up a prospect or two as well.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:25 AM

You project him at 33.8 BRAR in 2006 at the age of 32. Let's say 31 BRAR in 2007 at 33. At age 34 project 27 and at age 35 project 23.

bernie williams

32 52 brar
33 59
34 23
35 26

so damon loses 12% of his offense from 33 -34, and williams loses over 50%.........right...................

the deal sucks. the red sox didnt do it, becuase they run a team resposibly.

also, i did compare it with all the other signings.

here are my notes on furcal:

[ QUOTE ]
Furcal cashes in at 2.24 expected BRAR per million, However, he plays a premium position and apprently very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

giles:

61.6 expected BRAR @ 10m = 6 runs per million which is a GREAT DEAL, even if you factor in his age.

the fact that you even brought his name into this discussion puzzles me. his deal is the polar opposite of damons.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I like the deal, we have a pretty big hole in CF and damon can fill it for 1-2 years. He should have a .800+ OPS and he can cover a lot of ground, he obviously won't be an MVP candidate but he will definitely do a good job. He can be our leadoff hitter and provide some good speed on the bases. Honestly, he can bring speed to CF and hold down the fort defensively, and his OPS the last two years has been over 800 and should stay that way. That works very well.

[/ QUOTE ]

His last 3 years have been below .800 OPS on the road.

[/ QUOTE ]

which means his home OPS must be .950 or something, baseball is a game of math and numbers these days, at UCF they teach you about the laws of averages, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you joking?
Actually his home split was .836, but i'm sure at your school you were taught to way overrate players who play at extreme hitters parks, and not realize that when they do not play half of their games at one, their numbers will decline.