Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 03:00 PM

Default A Play I Make Sometimes (Flop Checkraise)

This an example of a marginal situation in which I sometimes checkraise the flop.

Second hour of a 20+2 rebuy on pokerroom, pays 40, down to ~150 out of 350 originally. I'm in the top 30 or so.

Seat 1: CO ($5,750 in chips)
Seat 2: Button ($4,100 in chips)
Seat 3: SB ($5,199 in chips)
Seat 4: Hero ($11,075 in chips) 6 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Seat 5: UTG ($6,186 in chips)
Seat 6: UTG+1 ($5,750 in chips)
Seat 7: UTG+2 ($22,439 in chips)
Seat 9: MP1 ($8,770 in chips)
Seat 10: MP2 ($2,215 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($150), Hero posts blind ($300).

PRE-FLOP
UTG folds, UTG+1 raises to $600, folds to Button, Button calls $600, SB folds, Hero calls $300.

(T1950) FLOP K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets $600, Button folds, Hero raises to $1,600.

My rationale: The flop underbet from a preflop raiser often means either that he has unpaired big cards or that something on the flop scares him. The King, in this case. If he is afraid, whatever he's afraid of gets confirmed by a checkraise. I'm ahead a decent percentage of the time, I sometimes fold out a better hand, and if he calls, I know i'm behind but I have outs. Given his stack size, he has to fear being put allin on the turn.

Note: the minraise preflop got me here with 64o, but usually I'll have something a little prettier, like 87s.

Thoughts?
Old 11-29-2005, 03:02 PM

Default Re: A Play I Make Sometimes (Flop Checkraise)

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Old 11-29-2005, 03:03 PM

Sure. Of course its a good play if you have that kind of read. If you're marginally ahead, you definitely want to push him out now. Check raise is a good way to go.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:11 PM

you are reading way too much into his flop bet.

I do like the checkraise.

A made hand bets in this same fashion as he did way too many times. Are you expecting a made hand to slow play for no bet? solid players usually continue with their typical bet and vary their bets slightly one way or the other (a smaller bet being a typical slow play moreso than a non bet).

As i stated, i like the check raise, but it is a very fine line given the stack size of your opponent.
Old 11-29-2005, 03:18 PM

I too like the CR. However you'll have to be prepared to fire again on the turn or shutdown when and if he calls. If he has a hand behind top pair, like aj, aq, a10, QQ, 1010 then he's prob calling your raise and will reevaluate on the turn. Given your stack maybe I bump it a bit more as to shut him out and if reraised then you can duck out. I hate being out of position there with someone that might just call me down with and underpair to the King. And then when I lose half my stack to AJ i say to myself, 'why am I making a play at someone with 64 out of position.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:23 PM

I'd like it better if your outs were stronger. I think his underbet could also mean a hand like two pair or a set against which you are drawing dead or nearly dead, so that you could be in big trouble out of position in a large pot.

With a flush draw, open-ended draw, or double-gut (my favorite), I think it's a much stronger play, because when you don't take it down immediately, you are still building a pot and concealing your hand for when you hit a monster. With 64, there are no monsters to hit.
Old 11-29-2005, 05:04 PM

What's your plan on the turn if he just calls. Do you need to improve to bet again or are you firing another barrell on any non-scare card (a smaller card that doesn't complete the straight draw - 8 or smaller in this case).