Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Was this Game Crooked?
No 228 96.20%
Yes 9 3.80%
Voters: 237. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2005, 10:03 AM

Default Is this type of move part of your game?

So right now the part of my game I am working on is actively finding spots to pick off bluffs. When you do this, unless your opponent is "bluffing" allin, your hand doesn't matter.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) converter

SB (t2710)
Hero (t1435)
UTG (t1445)
MP (t340)
CO (t3460)
Button (t4110)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t450</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1285</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: t2035
Old 10-13-2005, 10:07 AM

Default Re: Is this type of move part of your game?

[ QUOTE ]
So right now the part of my game I am working on is actively finding spots to pick off bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't understand. pick off bluffs = call bluffs.

[ QUOTE ]
When you do this, unless your opponent is "bluffing" allin, your hand doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:08 AM

I think the 3x big blind bet on the flop is a little too rich for me... but when people bet out 1-2 big blind bets, and i'm fairly certain they're bluffing, its quite easy to raise here.

the most important thing I've noticed is that it has to be 4-5 people/bubble time.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So right now the part of my game I am working on is actively finding spots to pick off bluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
When you do this, unless your opponent is "bluffing" allin, your hand doesn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

WHy does 'picking off a bluff' necesarily have to be calling it? Wouldn't pushing him off it be the same thing?

And what he was saying is that when you think they're bluffing it doesn't matter what cards you have, cause they can't call you. (assuming your right)
Old 10-13-2005, 10:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So right now the part of my game I am working on is actively finding spots to pick off bluffs. When you do this, unless your opponent is "bluffing" allin, your hand doesn't matter.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t150 (6 handed) converter

SB (t2710)
Hero (t1435)
UTG (t1445)
MP (t340)
CO (t3460)
Button (t4110)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (t300) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets t450</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1285</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: t2035

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this against particular opponents who I think will bet with air and fold when you show strength.

I think my table image is another important factor when deciding whether or not to try this. I wouldnt do it "all the time" by any means.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:22 AM

Ive been picking off some bluffls lately (river especially) where I will raise (90% sure I am ahead) all-in after they bet, say 600. mY raise is 200-300 more and they actually fold! (2000+ in pot) this has happened 3-4 times in last couple of days and one thing about picking off a bluff is that if you think they are on one, your FE doesnt matter...they will fold.

NH
Old 10-13-2005, 10:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...the most important thing I've noticed is that it has to be 4-5 people/bubble time.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the most importan caveat for me, also. I usually reserve it as a response to smaller bets and only after they've done the same thing a few times. I like to bluff the flop instead of raise them off their hand pre-flop because a lot of players will call a 3-4xbb raise to see three cards.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:24 AM

You needed one more button, I know I should try this but lack the [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] !

I just hate the thought of getting picked of by a 9, but I think you read the hand real well. SB just completes, is he really going to lead out with trip nines? Especially for a overbet? I guess the real fear is will he call with a 6?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:28 AM

nice

this is easier to do if u see that the opp makes cbets quite often
Old 10-13-2005, 10:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has Kx, he almost certainly cannot call my raise. So his bet is a bluff, and I pick it off by forcing him off his better hand.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

My phrasing is unclear, I guess. Basically what I mean is, if your opponent bluffs allin, and you are fairly certain he has jack high, there's not much you can do (because he might be bluffing with king high or queen high). But if he just bets, you can raise with your jack high getting him to fold what is the better hand (which of course he doesn't know).