Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 06:10 PM

Default Am I a total fish?

Pokerstars 200+15 buy in, $500k guaranteed tourney
I played a satellite and won my way into this tourney. My first time playing at such a high lvl.

Early in the tourney, I get dealt 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] in middle position, blinds are at 15/30. I have a 2k chip stack, which is 500 off the avg. 1 loose limper UTG (2.2K chips) . Everybody else folds. I raise to 120 (4x bb). Everybody folds except BB (tight player 2.4K) who calls.

Flop comes 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
UTG makes 2/3 pot size bet. From my read on him, he continually bluffs with these typs of bets. I call in hope of raising UTG on the turn. Surprisingly SB raises to 600. UTG folds. I pause and put him on top 2 pair. In the back of my mind I'm also thinking he flopped a set. But since he didn't raise from BB I'm thinking a smaller set. I push all in. BB calls and turns over 2 Kings.

Since this was my first high buyin no limit tourney, just wondering if I overplayed my medium set? What do you guys think?
Old 12-04-2005, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Am I a total fish?

I got bust everytime in this situation.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:14 PM

you got it all in on the flop on a K9s6s w/middle set

cant ask for much more
Old 12-04-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I got bust everytime in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is like a semi bad beat post in disguise...do you think anyone could lay down middle set there, no...
Old 12-04-2005, 06:25 PM

Devil's advocate

Not too many tight passive players check raise with a flush draw or TPTK or top two pair with flush draw showing. He'd want to bet and see where he was on the flop. I think I could only push and reasonably beat small trips.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Devil's advocate

Not too many tight passive players check raise with a flush draw or TPTK or top two pair with flush draw showing. He'd want to bet and see where he was on the flop. I think I could only push and reasonably beat small trips.

[/ QUOTE ]

youre playing scared if you think the only hand he does this with is a set

set over set happens, and w/o a real strong read and deep stacks, it's basically impossible to get away from it
Old 12-05-2005, 01:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Devil's advocate

[/ QUOTE ]

youre playing scared if you think the only hand he does this with is a set

set over set happens, and w/o a real strong read and deep stacks, it's basically impossible to get away from it

[/ QUOTE ]

Villain could play this way with bottom set or a flush draw with a pair or overs. The standard play is to reraise two players preflop with KK. Practically speaking OP had the nuts. Yes, this is a bad beat post.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:22 AM

I remember something Harrington said in his book. Paraphrasing..

When someone tells me that he laid down a set against his opponent who he figured had a higher set through some complicated and confused logic, I say "Idiot."

You cant lay down sets because you think someone has a higher set. In fact its almost impossible to ever lay down a set, as it has something like a 25% chance by the river to pair the board and beat even a flush or a straight. I lose all my chips in this situation, and Im happy I do. No other way to play it.

I feel yer pain, I had AK in a ring game yesterday..Flop is 5AK..I bet flop, bet the turn..we check the river and he shows me 2 kings. Yuck. It happens, need to be able to bounce back.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:41 AM

no way you get off of the hand and a set of sixes was way more likely than kings all in all theres nothing you can do but go broke. only a really bad player lays this down
Old 12-05-2005, 02:06 AM

Lordyale,

In cash games, I occasionally lay down the lower set on the board when there is a 4-5x BB raise, several callers, a mid to low range board, and heavy betting by callers on the flop. I'm right about 75% of the time in these situtions.

In tournaments, I think it is definitely wrong to lay down a set unless you are completely convinced you're beat.

Just an unlucky part of the game. This is why we all only play up to a certain percentage of our bankroll, right?