Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2004, 11:59 AM

Default switch to no limit

hey, i'm making a decent amount of money at the 10-20 and 15-30 6 max games on party poker.. around 2 bb/hr/table. recently i've been playing in the 100 and 200 NL games on party, and i'm liking it a lot. i'm wondering if the earn is comparable to what i'm making playing limit.

obviously it has a lot to do with how well i play NL, but in a general sense how much do you think is a reasonable earn in these games?
Old 02-11-2004, 01:56 PM

Default Re: switch to no limit

[ QUOTE ]
hey, i'm making a decent amount of money at the 10-20 and 15-30 6 max games on party poker.. around 2 bb/hr/table. recently i've been playing in the 100 and 200 NL games on party, and i'm liking it a lot. i'm wondering if the earn is comparable to what i'm making playing limit.

obviously it has a lot to do with how well i play NL, but in a general sense how much do you think is a reasonable earn in these games?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can earn 2 BB/hr in 10-20 and 15-30, then stick to those. You won't do nearly as well in the $100 NL and $200 NL unless the games are very soft, which they rarely are. Even for an expert, NL earn isn't too high unless you have one or more idiots in the game (much more common at NL$25 than NL$100 or NL$200). $15/hr in NL$100 would be on the high side for a long-term win rate - I suspect $10/hr is more common. NL$25 is great for a player on a small bankroll or who can't beat harder limit games. If you only play at peak times, or if you hit and run really soft games, then you might find NL$100 to be worthwhile.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:11 PM

I think $40/hr is a reasonable goal in the NL200.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:13 PM

If you really want to play NL seriously there are bigger games out there on the net. I know Prima generally has at least one game of 5/10 or above (usually at least one 10/20 or 15/30 going) and I've noticed some people really cleaning up on these tables. (The few times I've played there I've just been cleaned out)

At 15/30 the max buy in is $3000 and I've noticed a few players who consistently have 5 figures in front of them.

I've seen Fossilman at the higher level NL tables, maybe he can weigh in on the expectation for an expert player.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:17 PM

yeah maybe eventually but for now the nl 200 on party is as high as i can play with my limited experience
Old 02-11-2004, 03:15 PM

learn the game at the $200 table, then go to UB or Stars and play some of the bigger games, you will probably not match your current earn rate for a while (unless you are a natural)
Old 02-11-2004, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think $40/hr is a reasonable goal in the NL200.

[/ QUOTE ]
The $200 NL at Party is a rock garden. Half the time the pot avegare is around $50. Got guys like xasunt and diving duck seeing 17% of the flops.
Old 02-11-2004, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The $200 NL at Party is a rock garden.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, but I've only played in this game evenings and weekends.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:41 PM

Naturally. I just wanted to point out that those who are making a living playing NL probably aren't doing it at a 200 max buy in. (Although if Ulysses thinks 40 an hour is reasonable maybe they are)
Old 02-11-2004, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Naturally. I just wanted to point out that those who are making a living playing NL probably aren't doing it at a 200 max buy in. (Although if Ulysses thinks 40 an hour is reasonable maybe they are)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think daryn plays more like I do and less like those making a living. By this, I mean that I play a couple of hours an evening. 20 hours of online in a week is a lot for me and 10-15 is pretty standard. I only play in the evenings and on weekends, when I imagine the games are juicier than average. I'll also only get on the waitlist for the 200NL game if there are a couple of big stacks at the table. I find the game annoying and not nearly as profitable when all the stacks are $250 or less. Frankly, I find the 50BB games to be pretty annoying in general, which is why I've stopped playing them for the most part on Party and will be opening UB & Stars accounts to try their 100BB NL games. Which I suspect will be about half as annoying. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I find NL to be far more interesting and enjoyable when playing with deep money. I'd much rather play big stacks in a smaller game than small stacks in a bigger game.

So, 40/hr/table might not be a reasonable goal in this game for someone playing for a living, but I think it's very reasonable for someone who plays fewer hours when the game is better than average. Having said that, I have no idea how the game plays during the day, so $40/hr may indeed be possible in this game all the time.