Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Proportion of winning/losing players

I've been wondering what proportion of players in each limit fall into each category. If I had more poker tracker players in my database I might be able to draw some conclusions, but I was wondering if anyone out there had any either anecdotal thoughts or empirical data:

1) people who seem to be trying to lose as quickly as possible
2) steadily losing players
3) players who would be breakeven, but lose to the rake
4) players who are breakeven after the rake
5) players who make steady returns
6) players who make a killing
Old 11-08-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Proportion of winning/losing players

the way i look at it:

6) players who make a killing = me, mahatma, maybe a few more
1-5) everyone else
Old 11-08-2005, 02:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the way i look at it:

1-5) everyone else

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be true if you play an insane number of hours and tables. Stamina and volume are what takes the money currently.

Just my guess but I'm betting among the top 20 online earners in the trailing year you'll find a lot more 10-20 long-hour 10-tablers than any other breed. A decent A- game played consistently 40-45 hours/week 10-tabling $10-20 10-max would yield million+ earns under current conditions playing ABC with just a little D. I would guess $1 million trailing earnings is the over/under for the top 20 online players. Can anyone working at a major site leak the top-five earn amounts (not names)? I would love to know.

My curiosity is piqued, because playing 8 tables of 5-10 6-max as at least one 2+2er is doing would be quite difficult for me without a folding bot (which sadly I do not have). With no job, I might manage 30 hours/week of 6 tables, but grudgingly. That's still over a million a year. It's just stunning.

This is the golden age. Play as much as you can well and don't develop any spending habits. Many of you are doing a great job of sticking with what works and not trying to bust the monkeys in 50-100. Keep doing what you are doing, make a ton, then when the games dry up a bit learn about investing.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Many of you are doing a great job of sticking with what works and not trying to bust the monkeys in 50-100

[/ QUOTE ]my poker leak haha; those assholes up there will get their comeuppance some day
Old 11-08-2005, 02:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the way i look at it:

1-5) everyone else

[/ QUOTE ]

Might be true if you play an insane number of hours and tables. Stamina and volume are what takes the money currently.

Just my guess but I'm betting among the top 20 online earners in the trailing year you'll find a lot more 10-20 long-hour 10-tablers than any other breed. A decent A- game played consistently 40-45 hours/week 10-tabling $10-20 10-max would yield million+ earns under current conditions playing ABC with just a little D. I would guess $1 million trailing earnings is the over/under for the top 20 online players. Can anyone working at a major site leak the top-five earn amounts (not names)? I would love to know.

My curiosity is piqued, because playing 8 tables of 5-10 6-max as at least one 2+2er is doing would be quite difficult for me without a folding bot (which sadly I do not have). With no job, I might manage 30 hours/week of 6 tables, but grudgingly. That's still over a million a year. It's just stunning.

This is the golden age. Play as much as you can well and don't develop any spending habits. Many of you are doing a great job of sticking with what works and not trying to bust the monkeys in 50-100. Keep doing what you are doing, make a ton, then when the games dry up a bit learn about investing.

[/ QUOTE ]

This advice is golden.