Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Small PocketPair vs Raiser in short-handed Question.

You have a small pocket pair... 22-55 in the Big Blind. The game is 6-handed Limit Hold'em.

Which of the following situations do you prefer? I know you might not like either, or you might like both, but which do you prefer, and provide an estimate of how much more you like one over the other. And, providing why would be nice too.

1) UTG raises and everyone folds to you.
2) All fold to button, who raises, SB folds, and it's on you.

Thanks.

-RMJ
Old 10-20-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Small PocketPair vs Raiser in short-handed Question.

I'll take 2, because I'm going to win the hand more often. I have no idea how to quantify that into how much more.

and I don't like either situation.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:04 AM

yeah
low pockets are not fun in limit.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:27 AM

Understood... neither is scenario is really great. But, if you had to choose, which do you prefer?

A buddy and mine debated this for a little bit, and I really couldn't say who's argument was stronger or more correct. So, I decided to get more opinions.

-RMJ
Old 10-20-2005, 03:29 AM

This seems like a simple question. Would you rather be against a raise from under the gun who has all other players to respond after him or against a button raise after everybody else folds. Surely, you realize that UTG more than likely has the better holding and that the button raise is probably a steal. I fold to 1) and so I only lose my big blind, while I would call 2) and could stand to lose some money or I might even fold to 2) as well. I would prefer these situations in the following ratio.
1) 15%
2) 85%

I guess what I'm saying is that I'd rather be heads up with an all folded to button raiser than heads up against an UTG raiser.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:37 AM

What you said is exactly how I feel about this...

The other side argued that #1 would be the preferred situation, because the range of hands you could put the opponent on was much tighter. In situation #2, you were only sure that the button had two overs, making it more difficult to play the hand.

Like I said, I can see how to argue both sides, but I am not that sure which argument is stronger, but personally, I agree with your logic.

-RMJ
Old 10-20-2005, 09:03 PM

I hate both spots.

I think the vast majority of the time you're up against 2 unpaired overs in both spots. You can narrow the range of hands for the UTG guy, but not for the button guy.

If I'm going to play a hand like that heads up out of position, I prefer to have an idea of where my opponent is at. I can't do that with a button open-raiser.

~D
Old 10-21-2005, 12:02 AM

low limit makes it too difficult to play the low pair.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
low limit makes it too difficult to play the low pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I understand that it could be difficult. The question wasn't whether you liked either one, or if either spot was profitable or not. It was, which spot would you prefer to be in if you had to choose?

To make it clearer, if you were forced to at least call the raise and see a flop... which situation would you rather have?

If both are -EV, so be it. Just like hitting a 16 vs a dealer's 10 is -EV, it's still correct since it's less negative than standing pat.

-RMJ
Old 10-21-2005, 02:18 PM

If you are against the UTG player, his hand is probably good, and he will probably give you plenty of action if you hit a set. If you are up against the button, your hand is trickier to play. He probably has overcards. You're more likely to get yourself into trouble there. I'd rather be up against UTG.