Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 11:27 PM

Default AK in SB 3rd hand

Okay, guys. I just need a little help on this play. I'm still a little unsure of how to play this hand so, when in doubt, I raised it up. Anyway, please judge my play on this hand.

Situation - 3rd hand of a $5.50 MTT with 800+ players. I picked up AKo on the SB. There were two limpers so I raised it 5x BB. BB smooth calls and the two limpers fold.

Flop - 5h 5d 3h

Hero bets 100 into pot of 120.
Villain calls.

Turn - 5h 5d 3h Kh
Pot - 320

Hero checks.
Villain quickly bets pot.

(At this point, I figure the guy is either trying to pick up the pot or he might have a medium pocket or a crappy K. I've won a lot of pots from players who play bad kickers really hard. He actually did exactly what I wanted him to do.)

Hero reraises to 640.
Villain goes all in.
Hero calls.

I will post the outcome of this hand after I get some reads from you guys. Basically, I am trying to get some thoughts on my play throughout this hand to this point based upon what you guys can infer.

After posting the outcome, I'd also like some pointers. Thanks in advance for the thoughts.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:12 AM

Default Re: AK in SB 3rd hand

Alright, since no one wants to take a stab at this, either because it's all too obvious or not worth mentioning without know the outcome...

The guy had J7h. He picked up his flush on the turn when I hit my K.

Thoughts?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:38 AM

So my guess by the lack of responses to this is that I played this okay but should have realized that early in MTTs like this, people love to play any suited cards.

HOH helped me to quadruple up and double up not long after that though. So I'd like to think that I did pretty well with what cards I was given.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:43 AM

3rd hand in an MTT $5 buy in, with 800 runners... way too many fish to be worrying about this, more than half the time you would of doubled up, you played fine.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:43 AM

I bet 1/2-2/3rds pot on the turn and fold to a raise. If I hold the A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] I'm doubling up or going broke at this level.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:34 PM

Roger that. Thanks a lot guys.

I just wanted to get some other thoughts. Figured I just ran into a tough hand.

I appreciate it.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:16 PM

THis seems pretty routine. You wanted him to bet the turn and he did. You made a read and you acted on it, and it played out exactly how you wanted it too. If he sucked out on you, so be it. If your read was wrong, work on your hand reading.

As far as the play of the specific hand, you need to play in the style that fits your game. Guys who play a big stack really well will play it the way you did. DOuble up and rule the tourney, or go out quick and get on with your day, whether it's more tourneys or ring games. Personally I'm not any better with a large stack than with an average one, so I try and keep it small early on. I would have continued with a turn bet and a river bet. I can't put him on a 5 so I'm not folding to any raises here.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:22 PM

I probably fold to the all-in fearing a 5 (because idiots call PFR's with A5s and crap constantly in these tourneys), but I don't feel great about it. This early in a micro-buy-in, he really could have anything. I don't think your play was bad at all, and, hey, the second most efficient thing to making the money is busting out early.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:20 PM

haha That's a great way to look at it. With that being said, I feel even better about my play there.

Thanks, guys.