Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2005, 11:40 AM

Default Low Buy-in Tourneys at Major events

My question may too vague for definitive answers, but then again maybe not.

The WSOP Circuit is coming to my town (New Orleans), and I'm interested in entering the $200 and $300 buy-in events. I have minimal B&M tourney experience (online I play mostly $10-$30 tourneys), and I'm wondering what the quality of the fields are in tourneys like this. I'm operating on the premise that there will be plenty of other inexperienced players as well whom I can outwork (re: play smarter than), therefore giving me a reasonable chance to make the payout structure.

for those of you with experience in tourneys of this level, my question is, is this a naive assumption on my part? How dead is my money?
Old 05-09-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: Low Buy-in Tourneys at Major events

My experience is that all of these players will be better than the average $10-$30 online players you normally are up against. You will be playing against mostly experienced tournament regulars. There will, as with any tournament anywhere, be exceptions. But the field will be one helluva lot stronger than the tournies you are used to competing in.

All this being said, I believe anyone reading these forums regularly has the information available to them to compete in ANY tourney. It just comes down to how you absorb and utilize all the excellent information given in these forums.

One small note... I made a final table in two of the smaller buyin NLHE events in the AC circuit, and I play mostly Party 30+3, Party 9+1 Super Satellites, and Stars 22:15 $25k Guaranteed 10+1 rebuy.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:04 PM

I played in the WPO event in Tunica back in January ($500 buyin, 1500 players). I play in some weekly B&M tourneys ($100 buyin, 60 players) but most of my tourney experience is online.

My experience in Tunica was that for the first 4 hours or so the tables were about what you would expect in an online tourney with each table having some dead money to collect. After that the tables seemed to get somewhat tougher than you would expect online.

You should definitely give it a shot. The enormity of a live 1500 person tournament is something to behold as far as I'm concerned. Plus its great playing experience. Good Luck.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played in the WPO event in Tunica back in January ($500 buyin, 1500 players). I play in some weekly B&M tourneys ($100 buyin, 60 players) but most of my tourney experience is online.

My experience in Tunica was that for the first 4 hours or so the tables were about what you would expect in an online tourney with each table having some dead money to collect. After that the tables seemed to get somewhat tougher than you would expect online.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying it was tougher than a $500 MTT online?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:09 PM

Thanks. I do expect it to be tough, but it's a good opportunity to gain some experience. Maybe having home court advantage will count for something.

How large have the fields been at the other WSOP events? How many people are getting paid?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:10 PM

I've never played a $500 MTT online so I don't know. I rarely play an MTT with a buy-in more than $30 online. For some reason it just seems like less money when I had to drive somewhere to spend it.
Old 05-09-2005, 12:13 PM

I'm not sure how large the WSOP fields have been. In the WPO tournament the top 81 got paid (alas I was 190th, damn pocket kings [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]).

I thought about heading down to the New Orleans tourney when I saw it on the schedule. As much because I love to go to New Orleans and eat myself into a coma as any other reason though.
Old 05-09-2005, 09:24 PM

I just played in the Lake Tahoe version of the events from 500 to 2000 buy in. I would say that there were only 1-2 "dead money" players at my initial tables, and after that it was difficult. Seventy percent of the players seem to know each other. I finished from 30th-50th in each of the 3 events , which had 130-200 players.

One disappointment was that two of the events had 130 players but only paid to 9 places.
Old 05-09-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My experience is that all of these players will be better than the average $10-$30 online players you normally are up against. You will be playing against mostly experienced tournament regulars. There will, as with any tournament anywhere, be exceptions. But the field will be one helluva lot stronger than the tournies you are used to competing in.

All this being said, I believe anyone reading these forums regularly has the information available to them to compete in ANY tourney. It just comes down to how you absorb and utilize all the excellent information given in these forums.

One small note... I made a final table in two of the smaller buyin NLHE events in the AC circuit, and I play mostly Party 30+3, Party 9+1 Super Satellites, and Stars 22:15 $25k Guaranteed 10+1 rebuy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I should say I made 1 final table out of 2 events played... I just made the final table in the Taj Friday night tourney a week back and had extra money to toss around... As with most final tables, I was lucky a few times. The other tourney I was outplayed by a wellknown player for most of my chips and never was able to bounce back. I think I played overconfidently because of my final table... what a dope!