Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2005, 01:30 AM

Default too passive with middle pocket pair?

I'm building up a bankroll on microlimits and freerolls, and not doing too badly so far (up 450BB on the last ~2200 hands due to the extremely loose play.)

But I think there are some holes yet. What do you guys think of this hand? Should I have bet the turn to avoid giving flush and straight draws a free card? Or was I making a mistake by betting the flop in the first place?

Pacific Poker 5/10 cent Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is in MP2 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, MP3 calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (6 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (6 players)

Checked around to Hero, who bets, all call.

Turn: (5.5 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

All check.

River: (5.5 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

Checked to Hero. Hero bets, MP3 calls, rest fold.

Final pot: 7.5 BB
Old 01-18-2005, 01:53 AM

Default Re: too passive with middle pocket pair?

Preflop/flop/turn: good
River: I think I'd rather check and see what happens. If there's a bet and a call behind me I will probably fold. If there's a bet and no calls I will call and show down my 3rd pair.
Old 01-18-2005, 01:56 AM

I've not played Pacific nor .5/.10 so take this with a grain of salt . . .

Looks good to me, but I'd bet the turn. No one is showing any desire to win the pot so I'll assume my pocket 77 are good until someone tells me otherwise.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've not played Pacific nor .5/.10 so take this with a grain of salt . . .

Looks good to me, but I'd bet the turn. No one is showing any desire to win the pot so I'll assume my pocket 77 are good until someone tells me otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. No one is showing any strength. You have better than middle pair, and no one with a king seems to be saying anything...

By betting the turn, you'll get a better feel if people have something, or are just hanging around trying to get lucky...

Bet through, but don't be surprised to find someone with pocket 10s or something equally annoying... This is Pacific after all... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 01-18-2005, 02:08 AM

I don't agree with checking on the river--- if I was last to act it would be a clear bet. In this hand I was next to last and MP3 hadn't shown any interest on the turn.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop/flop/turn: good
River: I think I'd rather check and see what happens. If there's a bet and a call behind me I will probably fold. If there's a bet and no calls I will call and show down my 3rd pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

dead on balls accurate. I'm not betting the after I get called in 5 spots and a second overcard falls, and I'm probably not betting the river when a card pairs with 6 opponents. I like checking and calling one on the river as long as I'm not overcalling.

shorthanded situations come up with these kinds of hands where you want to keep betting. but multiway, there are too many outs against you.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:16 AM

I disagree. I don't think this is a clear bet on the river even if you were last to act. Remember, you got *5* callers on a K-high, drawless flop and a second overcard came on the turn. Very few hands that you beat will call a river bet.