FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2004, 07:45 PM

Default Re: Megabucks

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

A way to help.....

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 12-28-2004, 09:07 PM

Default Re: I have stumbled upon top secret information that it was an

Wacki, I just realized I have a video of a 10 megaton hydrogen bomb being tested on my laptop. It scares the [censored] out of me.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:12 PM

Was browsing yahoo news and I found this little article

[ QUOTE ]
CANBERRA (Reuters) - Australia's southern state of Tasmania was rocked by the world's largest earthquake in three-and-a-half years when it struck under the sea half way between Australia and Antarctica on Friday, seismologists said.

No injuries or damage were reported.

The earthquake measuring 8.1 on the Richter scale hit near Macquarie Island in the Southern Ocean, more than 500 miles southeast of Tasmania, at about 2 a.m., said Geoscience Australia seismologist Cvetan Sinadinovski.

"Usually this kind of earthquake happens every three to four years in the world, it is just a part of the dynamic cycle of the earth," Sinadinovski told Reuters.

The earthquake could have caused a tsunami, but no noticeable changes in water levels had been reported in Tasmania or New Zealand, Sinadinovski said. An aftershock measuring 6.1 hit at 6.50 a.m., he said.

"The last earthquake of similar magnitude in the Macquarie Rise region was in 1924. The magnitude of that earthquake was 7.5," Sinadinovski said.

It is the largest earthquake to hit since more than 120 people were killed in Peru when an earthquake measuring 8.4 on the Richter scale struck less than 125 miles off the coast of the South American nation in June 2001.

The Richter scale measures the magnitude of an earthquake with a reading of more than 8 regarded as a "great" earthquake that can cause serious damage over several hundred kilometers and a reading of less than 2 considered micro.

Geoscience Australia said an earthquake measuring 8.6 on the Richter scale releases energy equivalent to about 10,000 atom bombs like the one that destroyed the Japanese city of Hiroshima in World War II.

[/ QUOTE ]

Source

This earthquake happened two days before the one in the indian ocean.

Geologists also believe several islands actually moved by about 20 meters.

Geophysicists also believe that the indian ocean earthquake permanently tilted the earth and has increased the speed that the earth rotates.

Melch
Old 12-28-2004, 10:25 PM

Geophysicists also believe that the indian ocean earthquake permanently tilted the earth and has increased the speed that the earth rotates.

That is insane.
I don't even know how to begin to comprehend that if it's true.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:38 PM

You don't have much reason to be afraid of nukes. If you're afraid of natural disasters the best thing you can do is plan ahead.

http://www.purwaterfilter.com/purguidpursy.html
http://www.outdoorreview.com/Water%2...2_2960crx.aspx

One of these will give you 200 gallons of water per filter. It costs 2 cents a gallon so it's a good deal. PUR is just about the only name I recommend in water filtration. It will filter all bacteria out and the tri-iodine resin matrix will kill all viruses.

The Miox is pretty cool as well, but you have to worry about batteries and it's more expensive. It uses NASA technology to disinfect the water.
http://www.msrcorp.com/filters/miox.asp

A weeks worth of canned food/rice per person, an emergency space blanket ~$3 to $15, and you are all set. Humans are very resourceful, and you only need enough supplies to get through the adjustment period. Most of the people in Asia that are going to die are dying because they can't get clean water/food. When trying to survive all you need is these three FOOD, WATER, SHELTER.

You say you sit on the fault line. I'm no geologist, but I would think that this wouldn't cause a tsunami. If it did then all of the waves would be sent out to Japan and they would have to deal with it.

I asked a very knowledgeable friend what he would would need if the world was comming to an end due to a natural disaster. He replied "A sharp wit and a sharp stick". I agree with him, basically if you use your head you will get through it.

The only reason I start natural disaster threads is because there are dangers that are very real and many of them are so easy to avoid. $10 million a year for asteroids and yet nobody wants to spend the money. Attitudes like that sicken me. You don't have to go nuts, but it's good to be atleast a little prepared.

Besides that, the odds are in your favor. It looks like Seattle is prepared. Plus, the odds of a disaster like this happening to you are extremely remote. Just keep a weeks worth of supplies around and you will be able to breeze right through any of those "once in a 100 years" disasters.