Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 11:40 AM

Default Re: when/if to cold call 3-bet from SB after completing

it's difficult to see what these guys would have that you could beat more than a third of the time with a single pair on the flop, so in the best case you would need over 2 to 1 on your future bets

this seems ok on the surface, but even if you hit your two pairs of fives and fours you couldn't be comfortable with it, so it would always be a call and hope hand

if either one of them has a K, or even only a pair of sixes, on a K95 flop you need maybe 7 to 1 on your total future bets to make chasing worthwhile - which is almost impossible to achieve

it may well be that i am wrong in my math by a point or two, but poker is a long game and shrugging off the half-bet completion as an unfortunate loss is far better in the circumstances of this particular hand than embarking on a long and potentially expensive chase, however you wrap it up in theoretical percentages and if maybes

imo
Old 11-27-2004, 12:45 PM

Default Re: when/if to cold call 3-bet from SB after completing

True words. Earlier in my playing career on a 3-6 table I completed out of the SB with 96o in a big multiway pot. Ended up with odd to chase a gutshot straight, caught the straight on the river, checkraised then got reraised by a better straight. The hand cost me $39. I don't mess around in the SB very much anymore, or at least I try not to.