Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2004, 10:21 AM

Default When rags ruin your table image

Yesterday at my local B&M I had nearly 2hrs of hands dealt to me without picking up a single pocket pair. Overall, I had about three or four limp-worthy hands in what were very passive game conditions. The rest were variations on 94o.

My question is, how long are you willing to sit and fold when that's all the table has seen you do for two hours? Do you splash in with more marginal stuff just to look alive so you get action later? And how marginal is marginal?

(Naturally, the first pocket pair I picked up, another three orbits down the line, was AA. Imagine how my raise went over.)
Old 10-26-2004, 11:48 AM

Default Re: When rags ruin your table image

This is why I plan on playing two or three tables at once when I hit the B&M later this week. Hey, it works online . . .
Old 10-26-2004, 12:18 PM

Talk about projecting an image...running from table to table. If only they allowed it.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:40 PM

It depends on the limit that you are playing. I folded evey hand except the blinds and never saw the river for 2 solid hours playing 4-8 at Caesars, In. I got finally got KK, raised (first time I voluntarily entered the pot) got four callers and my Kings cracked.

Went on to have a small winning session but at low limits, they will call, so I don't worry about it.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:50 PM

I should mention that I was at a 3-6 table. You are right that in many cases you could fold for 4 hours without anyone noticing.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:59 PM

I have never played higher than 10-20 but I think at a higher level, you would have more concern about your table image.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:06 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Your table image has not been ruined because you have no table image at this limit. Now turn this into a 30/60 game and your going to be seen as pretty darn tight preflop. How will you use this in the game? That is what's important. It's important to remember that your image only becomes important when others are aware.

Now let's flip back to that 30/60 game again and you've folded for an hour (a not so uncommon happenning) and you get KK and worse yet you have it in MP and everyone has folded to you? What the heck are you going to do? A quick look left tells you very little.

Here is how I attack it. I raise. If I only win the blinds then I only win the blinds, but if I'm going to raise marginal hands here I darn well had better be willing to raise the good ones too. Now if there is a maniac behind me, I might change my mind but on a table that is image aware there is no asset quite like a tight image.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:17 PM

I would just keep playing tight. Your image results from most of the table playing way too loose. Don't raise with a big pair from early position if you don't think you will get action. Although there are not many hands not going to showdown, you may be able to steal a pot using your image.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:00 PM

I wouldn't necessarily correlate the fact that they all folded (if I'm reading between the lines corrrectly) with your "image." Maybe they all had junk. In general, I wouldn't worry about having too tight an image. I've also had sessions where I folded forever, then finally raised up front with a premium hand and got four cold-callers plus the blinds.

Sombody recently told me about a friend of his who didn't play a hand for four hours and when asked when he's going to see a flop replied, "What's the hurry?"

And Mason has pointed out that a tight image ain't necessarily bad in limit hold 'em anyway.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:48 PM

I appreciate the common sense responses. Two hours of staring and felt and drinking club sodas can knock the logic right out of me sometimes.

I've been playing online more, too. So I'm feeling dry runs at B&M tables more acutely than in the past.