Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 04:29 AM

Default Hm, I made a straight

This happened at a PartyPoker $25 no limit table.

My stack: ~$15 (I had just taken a ridiculous hit which is par for the course this month)
EP1: Oops, I forget. I don't think EP1's stack was significantly larger or smaller than mine.
MP1: ~$19

I get dealt red fours on the button. Several people limp in front of me, I call, the small blind throws in another half a small bet, the big blind checks and a bunch of us see the flop.

The flop comes down 235 rainbow, giving me an open-ended straight draw. It's checked around to MP1 who makes a minimum bet and several people call. The turn is the Ace of clubs, putting two clubs out and giving me the scrotum [You know, it's right around the nuts - copyright 2004, SpaceAce, may not be reprinted, reproduced or retransmitted without the express written permission of SpaceAce unles you figure I won't notice in which case go ahead]. The action is checked to EP1 who bets $4, MP1 raises to $8 and it's folded around to me. I go all in for $14, EP1 folds and MP1 calls.

The river is an offsuit Queen.

What hands do you put MP1 on and what do you think the result of the hand was?

SpaceAce
Old 03-02-2004, 05:03 AM

Default Re: Hm, I made a straight

MP1 might have had 2/3/5 A giving him two-pair to justify the all-in call on the end. However, he seems pretty pot committed at this point.

I assume you took it down.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:22 AM

I don't want to post the results just yet but I think your conclusion is going to be most popular one. I'd like to hear alternative theories, though, because I feel like I learn something when someone explains to me how they arrived at a different conclusion than I did with the same information.

SpaceAce
Old 03-02-2004, 10:44 AM

I put him on a suited ace, for two pair. Not strong enough to push preflop, which explains why he did not show early strength. He is less likely to have trips because he did not show strength on the flop. He stuck around because he paired a little card. He seems to have liked the turn ace because he bet out. He might also have A4 suited. Now that I think of it, that may be more likely. He bet small on the flop, concealing strength, rather than trying to steal with a small pair on a ragged flop.

Yep, that's my final answer, A4s
Old 03-02-2004, 10:58 AM

Looks like a possible flopped straight being slowplayed, so my guess is 46o [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2004, 11:12 AM

Ok, I'm gonna put forward a non-popular opinion here. Out of context, I'd never put this one together, but...considering you're playing $25 Party, and you're posting the hand here...

EP1 pretty obviously on weak ace
MP1 on either 46s or 46c

My experience has been that people in these games will limp w/ any two suited cards. He flopped the nuts and maybe was aware enough to try to induce a bet behind him. When EP came out w/ his ace on the turn, MP is happy and figured he can get more action out of EP's Ax.

Anyhow, just my 2 cents worth.

Cheers.
Old 03-02-2004, 11:48 AM

I would say like you about the 46s
Old 03-02-2004, 02:08 PM

OK, you all made the sort of guesses that most sane, rational poker players would make. I will now reveal to you the truth.

My opponent turned over:

AA, for what may be the most comically misplayed pocket Aces in the history of poker.

You think I'm making this up. I couldn't make this up.

So, I took it down with my 44. I'm sure my opponent was talling himself, "I can't believe pocket Aces lost to pocket fours. I was like a billion percent favorite." The truth, though, is that my pocket fours didn't beat his pocket Aces. Those Aces were beaten by the person whose hand they ended up in.

There should be some sort of Ace abuse hotline. Stuff like this can't be good for their self esteem.

SpaceAce
Old 03-02-2004, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I'm gonna put forward a non-popular opinion here. Out of context, I'd never put this one together, but...considering you're playing $25 Party, and you're posting the hand here...

He flopped the nuts and maybe was aware enough to try to induce a bet behind him.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's interesting that even knowing this was PartyPoker and knowing how silly the players there can be, no one put him anywhere near his real hand. I think that is an indication of just how far off base his playing was.

SpaceAce
Old 03-02-2004, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's interesting that even knowing this was PartyPoker and knowing how silly the players there can be, no one put him anywhere near his real hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha! I just read your post and immediately put him on AA, honest. No poker analysis involved, just posting analysis. I just figured that none of the logical things you'd tie/lose to would be very interesting, so you must have won vs. a ludicrous hand - which would leave either a stone cold bluff w/ nothing or AA.