Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 08:39 AM

Default Re: folded $6000 pot for $400 on river.

[ QUOTE ]
there is a great enough chance that the guy is having a prolonged seizure that results in him clicking the bet button every once in a while that you should call here.

[/ QUOTE ]

frickin hilllarious... and true...
Old 11-11-2005, 05:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i made a similar laydown for a 6 million dollar pot on my space station's home game the other night against a player from mars. held four aces but when the royal flush completed on the river i folded for the last $300k. was terrible, he didnt even have any cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

O... M... G! I made the exact same laydown while throwing a 150 mph curveball in the World Series and getting a hummer from Britney Spears! Small world. Now I'm off to Tibet for some jello-wrestling with the Dalai Lama.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:47 PM

The moral of the story is never make a lay down when you're getting ridiculous pot odds like 15:1, as long as you can beat something besides a pure bluff.

[ QUOTE ]
i made a similar laydown for a 6 million dollar pot on my space station's home game the other night against a player from mars. held four aces but when the royal flush completed on the river i folded for the last $300k. was terrible, he didnt even have any cards.

[/ QUOTE ]
rofl.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:55 PM

Wow. That's a bad fold. You opponent made this play either (a) out of ignorance, or (b) because there are certain players who will actually fold even though the pot is laying 15+ to 1 odds. Either way, that's a bad fold.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:59 PM

His play on the last two streets was kind of like a stop-n-go. He was putting that measly $400 in there regardless of what card came. A scare card came and it scared you. Remember to put your opponents on a range of hands - not just one hand.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:12 PM

I've gotten folds on this exact move a few times online. Huge pot, I miss completely with ultra-low cards, but throw in my last 3BB, consisting of less than 5% of the pot. Villain folds, maybe 1 in 10 times? I don't know if he's thinking that I must be expecting a call, or just folding to avoid the embarassment of revealing that he just chased middle pair all that way. Who knows? At any rate, thanks for being that guy on the other end.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:46 PM

Old computer programmer saying: "garbage in, garbage out", which you fell victim to. Here's why:

"now, since i have the nuts with a set of queens, he must have a flush draw to go with any sets, or it would be insane to call all in on just a midle set at best"

Your analysis above is flawed in that you TOTALLY precluded him from having a lesser set than you. You're going to honestly tell me you've never heard of someone going all in with a lesser set (or even trips)? As someone else said, you gave him only ONE possibility without even a CHANCE, however slight, that he may have another holding. This is the garbage in part. Now the river bet to you, and given the relatively small amount, had you put in reasonable info, you could have made the correct call by assuming he MAY have had a lower set. Instead, due to the "garbage" you put in, the "garbage" (wrong decision) came out.