Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2004, 05:24 PM

Default Should I overcall??

Sorry for the lame visual presentation. I haven't mastered the snazziness of suit icons or the hand converter.

B&M cardroom $3-$6, typical loose passive game.

I'm on the button in a multiway pot (about five limpers before me) with 65s (spades). I limp, small blind completes, and BB checks.

With 8SB in pot, flop brings Kh 5h 9d

SB bets, BB calls. Folded around to me. At 10-1, I call, figuring I've got four pretty clean outs.

With 5.5BB, the turn brings 2c.

SB checks, BB checks. I check behind, more or less happy for the freebie. Now I figure SB has got hearts, and BB has a nine, a gutshot draw, or a weak pocket pair.

River brings 6h, my "dirty out." With three hearts on the board, SB bets, and BB calls.

7.5 small bets, I'm sitting with two pair. Do I overcall?

Wait before you answer, because a half hour earlier, I was involved with the same two players in a similar scenario. This time I limped on the button with QTs, flopped a gutshot, called with similar odds, and got the nut straight on the river for free when the same two guys checked the turn. On the river they checked and I bet, SB called me and BB checkraised. I made it 3 bets, figuring a chop, then SB calls the 2 big bets!! BB calls, and I was the only one with the nut hand.

So these are the people I'm dealing with. Is it okay to overcall here? Should I even ponder raising?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Should I overcall?? *DELETED*

Post deleted by Rubeskies
Old 12-08-2004, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Should I overcall??

[ QUOTE ]
7.5 small bets, I'm sitting with two pair. Do I overcall?

[/ QUOTE ]

7.5 BB's and yes, you should call.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:35 PM

Instead of criticizing your interpretation of overcall, I'll answer your question.

Based on your previous experience with these 2 players, I think I'd raise this river, especially since the turn checked through and they could have anything at this point.

Addition: Based on the flop action, SB bet out the flop which to me looks less like he would be on a flush draw. He then proceeded to check the turn which reaks a weak K some underpair. Going into the river, it looks like BB would be more likely than SB to be on a draw and he just called after SB bet, so he apparantly doesn't have the flush. So, I'm pretty sure a raise is correct here.
Old 12-08-2004, 05:39 PM

The poster is correct. An overcall is a call after a bet that has already been called.

So, at the river, the first player bet, the 2nd player called, if hero calls, he is overcalling the first players bet.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:17 PM

I'm sensing unanimity here, so let me put this post to bed before a raging argument over the definition of "overcall" breaks out.

I posted because I stupidly folded, and I needed catharsis.

It does bring up as point about making the transition from online to B&M play. B&M play demands a lower level of analysis, and I was curious if anyone has ever "thought" themselves out of a pot that way because you overrated the players?