Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Re: Stats, Downswings, and Whatnot

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with this completely. I'd also suggest enforcing the 20k hand minimum that is in the FAQ... but real stat posts are fine and often end up beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe like 20K or -300BB. Because let's face it if you've lost 300BB you most likely have major leaks and probably aren't going to make it to 20K. Of course that doesn’t mean that people that know they're winning players should be making whinny I just lost 300BB posts.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:32 AM

MrWookie and All,

With all due respect, Forum Moderators are a lot like Politicians. They are mostly useless. They have very little of actual importance to do. Mainly, they entertain minor problems which come from their "constituents". These are generally people who are prejudiced, anal retentive, some kind of nit, a busybody, or someone who otherwise doesn't understand the concepts of minding their own business and live and let live. These people are usually narrow minded. The usually don't appreciate that there is a great diversity of interests amongst the many participants in a forum, and they tend to think that their way is the only good way or the best way.

There are also people who will lobby a politician or a moderator because they want things a certain way and they selfishly couldn't care less what anyone else wants. They are looking out for their own interests. That's normal and OK. The appropriate response to them is to ignore them. That would also be normal and OK. It's when someone listens to them and acts on their behalf that a real problem begins.

Now if a politician or a forum moderator doesn't get enough complaints from people, they tend to look for problems where none exist, or they look for minor issues and blow them up so they seem to have some kind of major significance. This is the way they justify their jobs and make themselves seem important to others and to themselves.

This forum, like most forums, pretty much runs itself. Little or nothing has to be done to make it "better." If the posters don't like a post, they will let the OP know. A moderator is not needed to do that.

At the same time, while some people won't like a particular post or thread, there will be many others that do. They will often not be heard from. It is the complainers who tend to get heard the most. This leads to the next point...

Conservatively speaking, about 90% of the actions a moderator takes are completely unnecessary. Out of the generously estimated 10% of the time that an action was really important, about half the time the moderator will take the wrong action. This too, closely parallels what a typical politician does. So the chances that a moderator will take an appropriate action that was really important is about 5% or 19:1.

As far as the specific question about stat posts. I like stat posts. I find them very useful. I urge you to leave them alone. Putting them in the BBV will make them almost useless. Who is going to look there for shorthand stat posts? Putting them in a designated thread is not so good because that makes it very difficult to study and address any particular one. It is a mixed up mish-mosh.

As far as downswing threads, I am often interested in them too. Not the moranic ones where some Noob says he lost 50BB, but many of the others. And I am willing to sift through the garbage to find the gold. If you throw all these posts somewhere else, there will be no gold. And anyway, the garbage is often good for a laugh or some good natured ribbing. This breaks up the generally serious tone of the forum and thus brings a unique and irreplaceable value of its own.

I would suggest you confine your activities to locking or removing the most egregious or vulgar of posts, those that clearly offend the sensibilities of almost everyone, and leaving everything else alone. Generally speaking - the less you do, the better you will be doing your job.

Regards,
Tom
Old 12-12-2005, 12:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with this completely. I'd also suggest enforcing the 20k hand minimum that is in the FAQ... but real stat posts are fine and often end up beneficial.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe like 20K or -300BB. Because let's face it if you've lost 300BB you most likely have major leaks and probably aren't going to make it to 20K. Of course that doesn’t mean that people that know they're winning players should be making whinny I just lost 300BB posts.

[/ QUOTE ]

but... but... please?

Old 12-12-2005, 01:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

but... but... please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you can't make them here, but they just started a whole forum for bitching about 150BB downswings. A brilliant idea IMO. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-12-2005, 04:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
With all due respect

[/ QUOTE ]
Meaning of course that you intend to show no respect whatsoever.

You really could have made your valid constructive points without paragraphs of gratuitous insults.

I'll take some responsiblity here. I raised some of the subject matter of this thread with MrWookie yesterday. These downswing threads are happening and it's appropriate to think about whether we are going to do something.

I think he did a good thing by coming here and asking what you guys want us to do. It's your forum and it wouldn't exist without you.

My personal opinion as a reader/contributor is that downswing posts are pretty much a waste. They don't do much of anything to improve anyone's game and I don't find them entertaining. Just another type of N/C thread bumping the good stuff off the page.

Beats, Brags, and Variance is now designated for downswing posts. I agree that if SSSH members post their downswings in BBV many readers of this forum will not see them. But perhaps that should tell you something.

On the other hand many regulars do have a family feeling about this place and family sticks together. I get that and maybe it's more important than my desire for less clutter. The number of people who respond to these posts tells me that some people want them.

Stats posts are a whole different subject. They do have value for some people. Personally they help me understand how other people play and that's something I can take to the table and use next time I'm facing a strange TAG with a familiar-looking pattern of stats. For example it helps me know which hands a typical 30/20 is playing because I've seen 30/20 stat post threads.

They also sometimes help weaker players identify areas of their game that are far from "consensus" good play. Leaks can appear in stats but only big ones and only certain types. Good players should have stats that look perfectly acceptable even though they still have leaks to plug.

Anyway there is no reasonable home for SS 6-max stat posts except here so they need to stay. Booting real poker content off 2+2 is not something I want to be part of.

Don't think I don't know that many stats posts are BBV material in disguise. Police yourselves please. Ditto for waiting until you have enough hands. However much I may criticize a post for having a 5000-hand sample, that's just my opinion and I don't want to censure poker ideas because I disagree with them. Police yourselves please.

Anyway, these are my personal views.

What do you guys want us to be doing?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Lock junk that obviously has no value and leave everything else alone. As to stuff getting knocked of the page, people should change there settings. I have the max, 99, threads on one page. So it's not a problem for me.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agreed with a lot of what Tom wrote but he did go a little overboard. If you look back through the archives, some of the most helpful threads arose from a downswing or "low content" post. We saw one just the other week in the general forum where Ed Miller got involved in gentleman gerry's, (alla the matador, alla cinna....etc) low content downswing thread. That thread tuned out to be so good, Greg made a link of it to the micro forum.

And this is my concern. By cutting threads off with a heavy hand you risk losing some great discussions which can come out of nowhere. And that is usually where great discussions come from. You can't forsee it happening. Now, don't get me wrong. You guys haven't be using too much of a heavy hand. But I'd hate to see it go that way by accident and a general misinformed desire to do good. Leave the threads there. The forum will take care of them. Survival of the fittest and evolution theory on a speeded up scale. And who knows what may come of it. Some of the funniest threads as well have come out of extremely low content. Sup bro and poo mountain just to think of a few.

So what should you guys be doing? I think the whole matador debarcle was a good example of where a mod was sorely needed. These boards are for the discussion of poker. When an obvious troll comes in who's only desire is to disrupt and cause chaos, that's where I think a mod should be. Not necessarily banning. But warning would be good.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:10 AM

The most important post I ever made was a stats post. Since that post, My win rate is nearly double at larger stakes over a larger number of hands. So, I like stats posts. I learned more than I do from hands. Just my two cents....of course, I'm pretty much only a strategy lurker now when I check-in at all.
Old 12-12-2005, 06:19 AM

As long as the stats are 20k+ they are cool imo.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would suggest you confine your activities to locking or removing the most egregious or vulgar of posts, those that clearly offend the sensibilities of almost everyone, and leaving everything else alone. Generally speaking - the less you do, the better you will be doing your job

[/ QUOTE ]

ironically this accurately describes the working philosophy of most of the politicians i have known

i agree there should generally be little actual moderation but theres about a 1 in 10 chance (9/1) that i agree with any 1 of your reasons

short handed is unique for downswings so it has its place in a forum about short handed - this from someone who has regularly entertained himself ridiculing those who post about crappy downswings

stripsqueez - chickenhawk