Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 07:08 PM

Default Re: Stats, Downswings, and Whatnot

MrWookie - Oh dam, i guess its kind of a pointless thread.

I do think we need to have a HUGE DEBATE on stats in short handed play, then create a FAQ from it(With a link to that debate of course). Then sticky it, Meanwhile continuing the debate and bumping occasionally ?

Anyone like the sound of this?

Infact i posted a AF With VPIP consideration just a few seconds ago that could do with a reply.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After your first adventure at the Muck, you're making a go of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh. Well, my plan all along has been to start playing live eventually, and my sudden BR boost combined with the no-smoking law helped things along. I've been sampling different local rooms, and thinking how if the Muck (ironically the only major area room WITH smoking, but the rumor is not for long) was less than half an hour away I'd probably be there every day.

On a non-thread-hijack note, a designated stats thread is probably not a bad idea. However, the more respected posters should work to impress upon people that stats are a result, not a cause. Someone will get a lot more out of reading and posting hands than a few answers of "ah, yes, yes, a VPIP of 32...hmm...play 87s less often."
Old 12-11-2005, 07:28 PM

Its simple. If it adds to this section of the forum then keep it. If someone can learn from the post, leave it. If its just complaining move it to the bad beats forum.

That said...

I get tired of the downswing posts. I think the majority of people on here (big names on highstakes forum included) that go on these 400+ BB downswings are simply playing bad for some reason. I remember when DavidRoss got flamed like crazy for his 500+ downswing, but no one will dare say somthing to 'big name' posters about how they are not playing goot.

I remember seeing a post a few months back about how not too long ago 200bb downswings were big and anything much over that it was recomended that people really look at whether or not they are playing well. It then pointed out how now days 500+ seems like the norm. Its a joke to me how someone can blame nearly 100k hands of break even poker on varience. Its not varience people..its how your playing.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 PM

I'd leave them. Leave them for a month, keep track of them and then when someone posts a new stats post just link them to all the other threads.

Krishan
Old 12-11-2005, 09:56 PM

I think that the market should decide. It's a economic philosophy that we as players should find no problem following.

The recent downswing/stats posts each have hundreds of views. They are properly titled, and the readers have shown interest.

I do not have any problem with those that have leadership positions making decisions for the good of those in their charge, however when such a call seems to go against the wishes of the people there need be meritorious reason and clear explanation.

By starting this thread you have shown a personal predilection but seek first the opinion of the community, but I think the community already has voted.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think that the market should decide. It's a economic philosophy that we as players should find no problem following.

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone's going to try and reason with him, and I'm going to laugh.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"this guy just check/raised me on the turn and I know I have the seconds nuts but I'm down 2302 bbs over the last 15 hands so I'm fraking out, this is an easy call down right?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I laughed.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:16 PM

I haven't read any of the replies, but I like the idea of a designated stats post.

The bad beats/variance section has quickly turned into mostly whining, occasionally humorous and/or sarcastic posts. Serious stats posts really don't fit in well, or at least get drowned out. People obviously have a need to discuss stats, but the bad beat section doesn't seem like the best place to do it.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you guys think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind stat posts as long as it's not like "I lost 100BB in 5K woo is me..." One poster recently lost 300+BB in 5K. Another was losing after 20K. Both at 1/2 6m. They had flaws in their game that could be seen though their stats. Recently some of the more successful high limit players posted there stats. I found it tremendously informative of what is needed to become successful at higher limits. Of course there will still be cry baby stats posts that help no one, but I don't think that out weighs the benefit of those stat posts that help both the OP and other posters.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:22 PM

I agree with this completely. I'd also suggest enforcing the 20k hand minimum that is in the FAQ... but real stat posts are fine and often end up beneficial.