Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 07:19 PM

Default The Amazing Comeback from Cancer

With Lance Armstrong in mind, isn't his "comeback" from cancer a little bit overrated? Sure he was very ill, but assuming he didn't die, was there any reason to think he wouldn't return to full strength? Do you know anyone in remission from cancer who remains partially or severely impaired from the lingering effects of cancer or chemo?

I had an uncle who had advanced stage cancer in his 50s, subsequently recovered and within a year had returned to bench pressing over 300lbs and running marathons. Several athletes have undergone cancer treatment and returned with no lingering effects. To me it seems that someone who suffers a severe injury that is supposed to permanently disable them and yet returns to greatness has done something much more impressive. Just thinking out loud here.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: The Amazing Comeback from Cancer

based on the stage of cancer he had, and how badly it would affect you...I'm shocked he recovered as quickly as he did. I personally think he used some form of enhancement, but that's just my opinion.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:33 PM

I hate lance armstrong.

I don't know why but I just do.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate lance armstrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP, I think people consider it amazing not just because he came back from cancer, but because of how much of his body was ravaged by it. It's not quite the same as when cancer is caught early, and people have a 50/50 diagnosis, etc.

That being said, while I find what he did amazing, I kind of agree with Boris. For some reason I just find him really unlikeable. I can't figure out why.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate lance armstrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

To the OP, I think people consider it amazing not just because he came back from cancer, but because of how much of his body was ravaged by it. It's not quite the same as when cancer is caught early, and people have a 50/50 diagnosis, etc.

That being said, while I find what he did amazing, I kind of agree with Boris. For some reason I just find him really unlikeable. I can't figure out why.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's easy.

The guy beats cancer, nearly dies, and decides to show the world that he is still a great cyclist.

Anyone else would have realized how important their wife, kids, and other family is to them. They would have taken account of their life and devoted it not some machismo bullcrap, but to the above.

This guy instead decided to devote himself to being the best at what boils down to an individual sport. He divorces his wife. He leaves his kids for months at a time. There are sound bites of him talking about surviving cancer and getting back on the bike in Nike ads. He turns all People magazine and starts dating Sheryl Crow. The guy's post-cancer life is that of an attention whore on an ego trip.

Is he the best cyclist ever? Absolutely. May be even one of the best athletes ever. Is he a good example of what you can accomplish even after cancer? No doubt.

Is he a good example of how to use your second chance in life? Not in my book.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone else would have realized how important their wife, kids, and other family is to them. They would have taken account of their life and devoted it not some machismo bullcrap, but to the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a professional cyclist. To him cycling is a job, not "some machismo bullcrap." What was he supposed to do, get a job at McDonalds? Plus now he's retiring a multimillionaire, and he can spend all the time he wants with his kids.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:50 PM

Thank you. We really needed a third Lance Armstrong thread.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hate lance armstrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2005, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate lance armstrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd start with him leaving his wife and kids for that [censored] sheryl crowe.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:53 PM

Dude your avatar is prompting me for a password. Please change. Or you will be my first ignore. You don't want to my first ignore.

How was St. Cloud State?