Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Re: Try to get me to stay in school....

[ QUOTE ]
If you get a PhD in something then you will be qualified to conduct research in the area that you've chosen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh, having a Ph.D. and doing research isn't that great. That's mostly what I do for a living, and I am about to quit to play poker and bet sports.

Note: I already have the Ph.D. so I can go back to work if I want. That's why I said having options is important.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:28 PM

Great Internet there in Bali.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:32 PM

All I have to say is I'm sure as hell glad I was unaware of internet poker when I was in college '92-'96...
tough decision, GL...
Old 08-24-2005, 05:34 PM

Don't drop out of school... Just milk it for what its worth and build your bankroll while you use up your scholarship.

6 years from now when you are in your mid 20's and get sick of poker whats your resume going to say?

EDUCATION
3 years of college

Work Experience
4 tabling $55 sngs on stars

Awards and Achievements
Twoplustwo POOHBAH/moderator

Trust me bro... If you want an easy degree...get a business degree..study Finance and play the market.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:48 PM

Most poker players like Econ because it has also has blend of soft and hard skills.

UCSD has a great Econ program especially in statistics and game theory. Hal White (White's Law) still teaches classes at the ungergraduate level.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Because I am seeing if anyone can come up with a good question. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, here's one. Picture yourself as an old man near death. What do you think needs to happen between now and then to make you happy and content with the life you lived?

[/ QUOTE ]Well, I can do that exercise without ever considering college.

But, playing poker full time ain't in the equation, either.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Btw, taking two years off is going to look pretty shitty to an employer should you decide to get your degree and apply for a real job. If I was reviewing your resume, I simply wouldn't interview you - and not many other reputable employers would.

[/ QUOTE ]It all depends upon what you're doing during those two years. I know plenty of people who have taken time off for various reason and have had no problem finding gainful employment.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if he can't handle 4 years of college, well, he's just another lazy dolt. it's okay though we need more future car mechanics.

[/ QUOTE ]What's wrong with being a mechanic?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with being a mechanic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely nothing if that's your kick. But if you think he's likely to be more happy as an auto mechanic then if he sticks it out in college you are delusional.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That aside, I realize this decision has little to do with money for you. Your problem is that you are thinking of this in a very black and white way.

On one hand you have poker. It represents something you love, freedom, etc, etc. On the other you have college, which represents somehting you dont love, a 9-5 job, constraint.

Why give so much gravity to the situation. Why not think of college as just some thing you do. Like working out, or cleaning your house.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this assessment a lot. You do seem to have the mindset that staying in school = working in a cubicle for the rest of your life. Poker will still be there when you graduate (and if you think it won't be, then you should definitely stay in school). Enjoy the things that school has to offer now. I can see how it would suck if all you did was sit in your room playing poker and writing 15-page papers. In that case, quitting school just relieves the burden of writing those papers.