Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2004, 10:40 AM

Default Party 3/6: Summoning my inner calling station....

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Opponent is this hand seemed to be fairly decent, if not actually a TAG.

Preflop: chesspain is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="666666">4 folds</font>, CO calls, chesspain calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">chesspain bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO folds, chesspain calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, chesspain calls.

River: (6.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, chesspain calls.

<font color="blue">1. Since I put my opponent on a low pocket pair, do any of you hate the turn call?

2. Given my read above, should I have raised the river?
</font>
Old 10-30-2004, 10:54 AM

Default Re: Party 3/6: Summoning my inner calling station....

A good player out of the BB is still out of the BB... They can have anything... the first bit of information you really get is the c/r on the flop. Heck... BB can have a 7, but your read is also good on a middle pair. I think 99 and higher might be a raise pf, depends on the player and raising standards out of the blinds.

I think you better than 50/50 here... I don't like the call on the turn, but oh well...

Go for the raise. Why not. If you fail, the worst thing that will happen is you might get more action from the other players on the table.
Old 10-30-2004, 11:17 AM

If BB is a decent player then everything you did was fine except not raising the river. He has a vulnerable hand and CRd to protect it (standard for a pocket pair). He does not have a 7 here. Your turn call is fine with your gut shot/2 overs giving you 10 outs to call getting 5:1. Sometimes you may want to check through this flop when you whiff this bad and the pot is very small.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:10 PM

Default Results

My opponent showed A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img], and MHIG.

Immediately after the hand, he typed something like "damn chaser." And without my saying anything, someone else typed "cry baby."
Old 10-30-2004, 03:15 PM

Why are you betting the flop?
Old 10-30-2004, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why are you betting the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah...to give others (especially overcards to mine) a chance to fold, especially since this paired, drawless flop means there are fewer ways for this board to have hit anyone.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:30 PM

I'd also bet against three opponents on this crappy flop.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:38 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

on a 7 high board in a loose game, no one is folding. it's not worth taking a shot 3-handed. betting the flop is really overaggro. you could also make a case for folding to the flop raise.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:40 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

the problem is it's a 7-high crappy board. people love chasing overcards, and he's certainly not protecting the best hand. I could see betting the flop with A high since there's a great chance you're best, but jack-high?
Old 10-30-2004, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
on a 7 high board in a loose game, no one is folding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Firstly, I never said that this was a "loose" game, and secondly, I think it's just foolish to assume that "no one" is going to fold this flop.

[ QUOTE ]
its not worth taking a shot 3-handed. betting the flop is really overaggro. you could also make a case for folding to the flop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see how using my position to try to steal a pot on a board that likely missed everyone is "overaggro." And you're suggesting I fold to the flop checkraise HU when my opponent likely has just a low PP.

It seems like you really have swung to the opposite pole from LAG.