Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 05:04 AM

Default A/J unsuite - raise, call, throw it away

I play it preflop like AK and AQ. I raise 5xBB. I'm starting to think this is as much a junk hand as any ace/rag and that I need to start limping, or folding.

Any thoughts?
Old 06-26-2005, 06:47 AM

Default Re: A/J unsuite - raise, call, throw it away

[ QUOTE ]
I play it preflop like AK and AQ. I raise 5xBB. I'm starting to think this is as much a junk hand as any ace/rag and that I need to start limping, or folding.

[/ QUOTE ]
In NL, AJo is too weak to raise in early position against half-decent opponents. You should be able to raise with it profitably in middle and late position. Limping in EP is ok, though not worth much.

In limit, you should be able to raise profitably UTG, but the profit is small no matter how you play it.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:14 AM

I only like to play AJo in late position and generally I will put in a raise to try and steal the pot right there. I don't like cold calling raises with it in any position, and will occassionally limp in in EP. It is a very tricky hand as any AK, AQ has you dominated and I don't think you really lose much by tosing it out of position or to a substantial preflop raise.
Old 06-26-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I only like to play AJo in late position and generally I will put in a raise to try and steal the pot right there. I don't like cold calling raises with it in any position, and will occassionally limp in in EP. It is a very tricky hand as any AK, AQ has you dominated and I don't think you really lose much by tosing it out of position or to a substantial preflop raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

AJo is probably strong enough to just limp in EP. Especially if you have a fairly tight table. I'd obviously call a raise behind me (who knows what he's raising with, possibly 10's, to where i have overcards), but a raise/reraise to where it's 2 bets back to me and I'm dumping it. Run severe risk of either high PP (AA-QQ) or domination by AQ/AK.

Position and your opponents will dictate whether or not to play it. Then again, if you feel uncomfortable doing it, fold.
Old 06-26-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
AJo is probably strong enough to just limp in EP. Especially if you have a fairly tight table.

[/ QUOTE ]
AJo goes up in value at a loose table, since it becomes more likely that people will play dominated hands.

At a tight table, raise from early position to pick up the blinds. At a very loose table, raise for value. Somewhere between the two, it may be ok to limp from early position, since people will respond correctly to your raise, but incorrectly to a limp.

[ QUOTE ]
I'd obviously call a raise behind me (who knows what he's raising with, possibly 10's, to where i have overcards),

[/ QUOTE ]
Probably 10's? It's a mistake to put your opponents on a particular hand that is convenient for you. The raiser could have QQ, in which case you need to catch an ace. The raiser could have AQ, in which case you need to catch a jack. The raiser could have KQ, in which case you start out ahead. The raiser could have AA, in which case you are almost dead if the flop is AJx. In limit, you can call one raise behind you, but in no limit (what the OP is playing) it is a clear fold if a non-maniac makes a significant raise behind you.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:17 AM

Good explanations -- especially pzhon's explanation of why domination is so bad. I just want to add one subtle point from limit than probably applies even more in NL.

The problem with hands like AJ against a raise isn't necessarily that the majority of the raiser's possible holdings dominate you. The problem is, you will make a little EV playing it if you're not dominated, but you will lose a lot of EV if you are dominated. You may not know you're dominated until showdown, so you'll throw a lot of money away.

Therefore, the average EV of some possibilities that are + a little and some that are - a lot is still negative EV, even if the negatives aren't a strict majority.

Not sure if I've communicated that clearly; I'm posting quickly from work, and sadly I'm no Ed Miller.