Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Common overpair situation

Villain is unremarkable. He bought in for $25 ($50 is the max) and has not shown any LAG tendencies in the 4 orbits he's been around. What's the plan for the turn when the top card on the flop pairs and there are no reasonable draws on board? At the turn, villain's stack is about 2/3 pot-sized. What hands call the flop that I can beat? (QQ-TT, but those would often be raised preflop, particularly QQ) Checking behind and folding to a river bet seems weak but perhaps its the best EV line vs. average SSNL players

Ultimate Bet No-Limit Hold'em, $.50 BB (10 handed) converter

UTG ($18.55)
UTG+1 ($22.95)
Hero ($53.80)
MP1 ($15.65)
MP2 ($78.55)
MP3 ($7.45)
CO ($22.20)
Button ($46.85)
SB ($26.40)
BB ($42.45)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+2 with K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2.25</font>, <font color="#666666">7 folds</font>, UTG calls $1.75.

Flop: ($5.25) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.25</font>, UTG calls $5.25.

Turn: ($15.75) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero.....?
Old 06-24-2005, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Common overpair situation

It would be my tendency to push this turn, with no Ace on the board, I think at this point you have the best hand. I can't put him on 99, he may have A9s, or possibly 109, but I think the only way you are going to find out where you are in the hand is by firing out at the pot again here.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:24 AM

You raised so much pf and he has such a small stack that Im gonna get it all in here no matter what happens from here. There are no particularly likely draws. If he has a 9 then Im paying him off no matter what.

Two choices
1. Bet all of it now
2. Bet half of it now and the other half on any river card.

He wont lay down a 9 or a set - and he is likely to pay off with an overpair. The money is going in and thats that.

I think pushing now is best, because he doesnt even really have enough left to break it into two.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:37 AM

Villain has a pocket pair enough of the time, so I would check behind on the turn, and call any bet on the river.

Incidentally, if the villain checks on the river, then I would bet this hand for value.

Ojo_Rojo
Old 06-24-2005, 10:41 AM

I agree with this.

If villain pushes the river, I might find a fold though.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Villain has a pocket pair enough of the time, so I would check behind on the turn, and call any bet on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I did, and he had quad nines [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
Incidentally, if the villain checks on the river, then I would bet this hand for value.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this 100%