Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 02:29 PM

Default Good laydown?

This hand occured in a multi-table 40 person $40 plus a rebuy at the Rio a few weeks ago. I did not rebuy so I only have $40 invested. I have not stoped thinking about this hand since then. Situation:

4 people left. 1-4 pays.

1st = $678
2nd = $460
3rd = 197
4th = $75

SB = tight/weak college kid with T~15,000
BB = HERO with ~20,000
UTG = old tight/weak man with ~T4000
Button = aggresive/calling station asian kid with ~40,000

Blinds are 1000/2000 w/ 100 ante. 1 more level left until they stop going up. 1500/3000 w/ 150 ante.

Cards are dealt and instantly old guy UTG states that he is ALL-IN after looking at his cards for a whole 1.34 seconds. Asian kid on the Button quickly say's that he is ALL-IN having this guy covered by a mountain of chips. College kid in the SB folds quickly and I look down to see A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. I ponder and look at all of the stacks. My buddy who is sitting right behing me watching see's the AK. After 3min of thinking, I muck.

I see the old guy flip A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and the asian kid flip over K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].

Flop comes rags and the old guy doubles up with A high.

My friend goes on to berate me the rest of the trip about the weak laydown i just made.

what do you think??? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Good laydown?

Nope. Bad laydown. Old guy pretty much is going all in with any hand. The fact that he was so quick makes it even more likely he doesn't have a hand that ak is afraid of. Asian kid doesn't have a strong hand as it looks like he is trying to scare everyone else out of the pot. I just don't think you can fold ak here four-handed. You're dominating everyone if there is no pair out there; and you pretty much only have to beat the loose big stack.

The payout structure puts you in a point where 3rd would be the worst possible outcome. Thats the only reason i'd consider folding I call here pretty quickly, because I just can't think of a better spot to put my money in.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:58 PM

Well, my thinking was that i did not want to be in a coin-flip situation 3 way... [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 04:23 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts

I think it was a bad fold as well. The old man has so few chips he HAS to go with any ace or hand with lots of paint, small pocket pairs, etc.

The asian kid is a calling station and agressive, like you said. I would have been all over this like a monkey on crap (well, a monkey that likes crap, that's all over crap, yes, that's it) The asian kids all-in was an isolation play, and your hand is likely dominant.

If the asian kid wins, you're both out, but you have more chips and score 3rd place money. If the old guy wins, well, then it's your hand vs. the loose and agressive asian kids, who likely has a weaker hand than your own.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it was a bad fold as well. The old man has so few chips he HAS to go with any ace or hand with lots of paint, small pocket pairs, etc.

The asian kid is a calling station and agressive, like you said. I would have been all over this like a monkey on crap (well, a monkey that likes crap, that's all over crap, yes, that's it) The asian kids all-in was an isolation play, and your hand is likely dominant.

If the asian kid wins, you're both out, but you have more chips and score 3rd place money. If the old guy wins, well, then it's your hand vs. the loose and agressive asian kids, who likely has a weaker hand than your own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad fold, and this is exactly why...but it's not THAT bad. I could see laying down AQ here (although I'd probably call) and would definitely lay down AJ. AK, however, is too good.