Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 09:27 AM

Default 78s on the button

The guy I played this hand against had just sat down, so I didn't have any reads at the time.
I'm really undecided on how I should have played this hand. I felt like I was getting too good odds to fold before the river, and on the river I felt like there wasn't a 1/3 chance I was good. River is the only street I'm really confident on (besides preflop, preflop seems perfect to me).

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (7 handed) converter
Hero ($211.2)
MP1 ($100)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $1. MP1 posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls $6.

Flop: ($19) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $10</font>, Hero calls $10.

Turn: ($39) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets $20</font>, Hero calls $20.

River: ($79) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP1 goes all in for $62, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $79

Sorry if this hand is boring/standard, but I'm interested in possible alternative lines.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:34 AM

Default Re: 78s on the button

I like the raise from position with this hand preflop, I am not sure if I would have made it that big, but I still like the play. Flop hit you pretty good, and I would be temepted to raise his bet from 10 to 20 to stay on the aggressive and try and win the pot right there. The turn I am not sure if you are getting the right odds to make this call and I think I would drop the hand right here, either way good fold on the river.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:40 AM

Thanks for the comments

I'm new to NL and I've noticed that I have a very difficult time putting total unknowns on hand ranges, whereas if I have even a little information on a player (VPIP, PFR, PFA) it becomes so much easier to read their range of hands.

When he bets half the pot on the turn, what kinds of hands do you put him on? I figured that he might have been betting this flop with any two cards, but when he follows up with a fairly strong bet on the turn (and interesting that he did this on an ace, perhaps he felt I had an overpair to the flop and would fold to this card?) I really didn't know what to make of it. A set, straight, or two pair all seem very possible but what about a one pair type hand? Another likely holding seems to be aces up, and I felt that I would probably be in good shape to take the rest of his fairly short stack if I made a straight on the river. Admittedly the river would be difficult to play if a 7 or 8 hit.
Old 06-29-2005, 09:48 AM

i would raise the flop to continue representing a big hand and as a free card play. $30 straight would be fine.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:44 PM

I don't think you have as good an implied odds as you think. Because you hold only one card of the OESD, and because you called down to the river, it's pretty easy to put you on a draw. That's why I like a raise on the flop to disguise your hand a little.