Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Re: American national anthem at WSOP main event???

Should anthems not be played at the Olympics? Are they too insulting for the non-winners of events, or the countless fans not from the non-losing country?
Old 09-19-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Poker is an American game

[ QUOTE ]
The US was truly the first country that expanded peacefully from the first 13 colonies to Alaska and Hawaii.

[/ QUOTE ]

it was manifest destiny and to hell with the gajillion brown people we had to kill on the way.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: \"World Series\" means something else in the US

[ QUOTE ]
they're just self-centered enough to call they're national leagues and tournaments "world series" and the champions of their national championships "world champions".

So what should be troubling you is not the national anthem on a international event, the problem is that they call a national event "world series".

[/ QUOTE ]

please tell me where the event should be held? When your country decides to hold the biggest poker tournament in the WORLD you can call it whatever you like. I assume you will not be playing TEXAS holdem or OMAHA.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:40 PM

This is an American event.

The event was originated in America, held in Amercia, hosted and ran be an American company under the laws governed by American state and federal regulations.

This is just as an Amercian event as the MLB World Series and the NFL Superbowl.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:32 PM

how about you just don't sing or stand up.

this is america and we will play our national anthem if we please.

by your line of thinking since probably half the Baseball players are Not from the U.S. Maybe we shouldn't play it at baseball games.

don't like it move to france.

peace
billyb
Retired Usaf
Old 09-19-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an American event.

The event was originated in America, held in Amercia, hosted and ran be an American company under the laws governed by American state and federal regulations.

This is just as an Amercian event as the MLB World Series and the NFL Superbowl.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then why not call it the Open American Championship of Poker? When you put a godawful pretentious title on it, you should accept that some think the US national anthem is a bit too much.
Old 09-19-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: Poker is an American game

[ QUOTE ]

The US was truly the first country that expanded peacefully from the first 13 colonies to Alaska and Hawaii.

[/ QUOTE ]

WHAT? What sort of revisionist history are you living in?

And baseball IS American, though certainly derived from Rounders. An American took Rounders, developed his own rules and formed a new sport. Basketball would have been a better analogy, though I think the sports founder was actually Canadian.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:51 PM

This thread wouldn't even exist if any country other than America was involved. You don't hear many accusations of arrogance regarding the Monte Carlo World Backgammon Championships, for example. If I was in some other country and they played their national anthem I wouldn't think anything of it, and I certainly wouldn't feel like my tender American ears were being offended. I would probably think it was pretty cool.

One thing I could explain to my fellow Americans that might shed a little light is that America and Europe have much different standards concerning patriotism and nationalism. In part this is due to some bad stuff from the last century that was attributable to an excess of German nationalism.

You could drive through any neighborhood in the US and you'd see plenty of US flags flying and the like; it's normal. But in Europe, many people consider it crass to show overt nationalism, and waving around a big flag might be considered inappropriate. We would think they are a little weird; they would think we are a little weird. But maybe this explains in part why some of our friends from overseas seem to be taking the playing of a national anthem a little too seriously.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread wouldn't even exist if any country other than America was involved. You don't hear many accusations of arrogance regarding the Monte Carlo World Backgammon Championships, for example. If I was in some other country and they played their national anthem I wouldn't think anything of it, and I certainly wouldn't feel like my tender American ears were being offended. I would probably think it was pretty cool.

One thing I could explain to my fellow Americans that might shed a little light is that America and Europe have much different standards concerning patriotism and nationalism. In part this is due to some bad stuff from the last century that was attributable to an excess of German nationalism.

You could drive through any neighborhood in the US and you'd see plenty of US flags flying and the like; it's normal. But in Europe, many people consider it crass to show overt nationalism, and waving around a big flag might be considered inappropriate. We would think they are a little weird; they would think we are a little weird. But maybe this explains in part why some of our friends from overseas seem to be taking the playing of a national anthem a little too seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, you. This is not a thread to be concise or reasonable. Outta the pool!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]

BTW. World Series of Baseball. What the...two countries hardly qualifies.

[/ QUOTE ]

The best baseball teams in the world are in the Major Leagues. Thus the winner of the World Series is the best team in the world.