Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games

Old 09-26-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Shorthanded TD 2-7

I play daily at UBs $1-2 /$2-4 tables for TD 2-7. When the table is full I consistantly beat the game and am quite happy with my results. Unfortuantly I typically am forced to have to start tables and that requires HU play and shorthanded (3 or 4 players). My success at the full tables comes from playing tight-aggresive, I only draw to very smooth draws and do my best to punish players for drawing rough against me. This becomes my downfall with shorthanded play because clearly good draws dont come around enough to deal with the blinds coming around more often. I end up drawing to more hands but Im constantly drawing one on the end against a pat hand and obviously the underdog. I still tend to only draw to 7's and 8's and only keep 9's and T's if i catch them later.. Is it correct to start drawing to 9's and 10's preflop and after first draw? It seems that when other people beat up on me HU they rarley make sevens and eights but rather show me rough nines, tens, and jacks almost every hand. I hope this post made sense and I would be happy to clairfy. Thanks for any help.

-Matt
Old 09-26-2005, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Shorthanded TD 2-7

Figured you'd show up here eventually.

Yes, you have to draw a lot rougher HU. The basic rule of HU play is that you need a much better hand to continue out of position than in position. It's a good idea to have down which pat hands are favorites against which draws. And you need to watch out for getting outplayed, which isn't common in full ring at those limits but will happen a lot HU.

Even with all that said, variance is awful HU in TD and if you're missing just a litle more than true you'll get eaten by it.

What other games and limits do you play? It would be useful to know what your general shorthanded experience is, plus an estimate of your handreading skill.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:13 PM

Welcome cowboy.

FYI DeadMoneyOC = BrandoJOPKE

Been really busy lately and the weather has been nice. I think I might make a guest apperance tommorow night on the .5 tables again though...cya
Old 09-26-2005, 06:37 PM

I have only played with you twice (yesterday in fact) and both times we went heads up I got my ass kicked by you. Interestingly enough I actually thought you were being too aggressive 3-betting in places where it wasn't called for, but who knows..... maybe some of the theory that we have been discussing is wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Welcome to the world's only triple draw think tank. You might enjoy this hand.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 09-26-2005, 06:51 PM

Was always wondering if you were the grindery type or not.

There has been a few HU posts in recent times with some good stuff in it, try a search.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:08 PM

I think the big thing you need to understand to play HU and shorthanded is relative hand strength. You don't need a strong 8 or a 7 to win and you don't need to have a smooth draw to bet. You just need to have a better hand (or a slightly worse hand with position) than your opponent.

Work on estimating what your opponent has. After you start understanding what your opponent is likely to have, you need to work out what the best action is. That's something that can't easily be summarized, but if you post hands we can at least give you an idea of what the most obvious line is.
Old 09-27-2005, 04:55 AM

My past Poker experience:
Maybe 200 holdem No limit SNGS ($10-$50 where i was overall big winner. Obviously Shorthand experience invovled but NL instead of limit
10 handed limit poker from 1-2 to 5-10: Winner at lower limits.. Lost at 5-10
Break even MTT holdem tourny player (did cash for 1000 once)
Essentailly I dont have a whole lot of shorthanded poker experience

My biggest problems in making HU decesions will be where something like the following happens: Raise on button with 2369x... Do i draw to one and make a decent nine or do i draw two and try to make rough seven or 8? Assume im playing a good aggresive opp. drawing to 2 after calling my raise.

Thanks for all your responses!
-Matt
Old 09-27-2005, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Was always wondering if you were the grindery type or not.

There has been a few HU posts in recent times with some good stuff in it, try a search.

[/ QUOTE ]

And after trying to use the search engine, please don't leave the forum.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:32 AM

Most of the time I'd say if your opponent is drawing two you can safley draw one and hope to take down a small pot early. HU I'd say that one card draw to a smoothish 9 is very strong, and your opponent may be reraising his strongest 3 card 7 draws.

Still when drawing to a 9 I think you've got to be willing to break it when the situation calls for breaking. And as soon as I know when the situation calls for breaking, I'm going to be really good at this game.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:52 AM

Draw one HU assuming your opponent is drawing 2 (or if you are first to act, draw 1 reguardless), and be prepared to break your 9 at the first sign of danger. Or perhaps fold if the pot is small (rare, but it has happened).

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]