Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Trying to figure out how many chips I need...

I looked around for an idea, but still I'm not sure. How many chips should be needed to get a good home game going for one table of 9 players max? It would be for a range of hold em games, including NL (maybe 50x or 100x BB for buy in), limit, and NL tourney (25x or 50x starting BB). I'm probably surer about doing NL tourneys, but the dynamics of cash games makes me unsure.

So is 1000 chips a good number? I wanted to make it as easy as possible too keep the game running fast without everyone needing change, etc. For NL/limit, 9 players could then have say 100 chips each of the lower denomination, and about 10 each of a higher denomination? Maybe I should order an extra 200 lower denomination and 100 higher denominations incase there is a rebuy needed before anyone has enough to color up?

Any help is appreciated. Suggestions for how many and of the ratio of lower to higher denomination chips would be great.
Old 09-21-2005, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Trying to figure out how many chips I need...

I just bought a 1000 of the Pharaoh's Club chips for the same games you described here is the breakdown:

200 - 25¢
250 - $1
150 - $5
150 - $25
150 - $100
50 - $500
50 - $1000
10 - $5000 Plaques

Rob
Old 09-21-2005, 10:28 AM

With out any specific details as to how much money (in tourney chips) you plan to give each player, it would be difficult to give you an answer. Check the link below for great suggestions.

http://www.homepokertourney.com/chips_needed.htm
Old 09-21-2005, 10:49 AM

Here is a spreadsheet I've put together to help with this sort of thing.

http://home.comcast.net/~hachkc/tourney_setup.xls

Good luck.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:36 PM

25x/50x BB for a tourney is pretty low FWIW.

all your answers
Old 09-22-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I looked around for an idea, but still I'm not sure. How many chips should be needed to get a good home game going for one table of 9 players max? It would be for a range of hold em games, including NL (maybe 50x or 100x BB for buy in), limit, and NL tourney (25x or 50x starting BB). I'm probably surer about doing NL tourneys, but the dynamics of cash games makes me unsure.

So is 1000 chips a good number? I wanted to make it as easy as possible too keep the game running fast without everyone needing change, etc. For NL/limit, 9 players could then have say 100 chips each of the lower denomination, and about 10 each of a higher denomination? Maybe I should order an extra 200 lower denomination and 100 higher denominations incase there is a rebuy needed before anyone has enough to color up?

Any help is appreciated. Suggestions for how many and of the ratio of lower to higher denomination chips would be great.

[/ QUOTE ]

A 500 set should be good enough for 9 players. That will give each player plenty of chips. When a player rebuys you can just give them a larger value chip and have them make change with the table.

Most chip sets come with 5 different colors. As you'll see on the HPT site, you will only need 3 or 4. I would suggest buying from a site that allows you to customize your set.