Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 10:47 PM

Default Home game - common problem for Dr Phil?

One week I'm all excited that I have 10 committed runners for my home game and then 3 hours before flick off I have 3 or 4 pull out leaving only 6 runners and a crappy pot every hand.

Then another week, If I ask 15 people (to try and cover myself for the slack ars es) and 12 say they are keen I then have to tell two runners the table is full but thanks anyway, which is quiet rude.

Is there anything I can do for my mentally retarded friends who don't like poker as much as I do?

This must be a very common problem Dr Phil?

Can I have more than 10 runners (11 or 12)?

thanks in advance [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: Home game - common problem for Dr Phil?

It's a common problem for me, anyway. There are basically three things you can do:

1. Get tough and risk pissing people off
2. Learn to play short-handed.
3. Get a smaller, overflow table for the big nights.

I've done all of the above. It really depends on my mood, and I'm certain to announce what my mood will be a good 4-5 days in advance.

It's annoying, and poor etiquette on their part, but the only time things like that really bother me is for a tournament. Nothing like having to get the second table out of the garage, clean it off, adjust the blind structure, and re-distribute all the chips an hour before tip-off because your three "maybes" each decide they're bringing a friend or two.

For ring games, I just set up a "kid's table" and the late players know where they'll be sitting. No padding, no drink holders, and no Kem cards.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:01 AM

You can play hold'em with 12 people just fine. 13 is the record at my table for a cash game... good times.

I personally just invite EVERYONE... they know how big the table is. There are no reserved spots and I've only ever had one person on a "wait list"... he got a seat within 20 minutes.

edit: Tournaments seat 18 people, first come, first served.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:21 AM

For our home tournaments, we have our table setup, and we'll seat up to 11 on it. If 12 show up, we'll just bust out one of those little felt tabletop octagon things, and put it on top of a card table. That's affectionately referred to as the "NIT" table (as in the secondary college BB tournament, not the person) [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

We draw seat cards for table/seat assignments (12 people: A-6 of spades and hearts.)

We ALWAYS welcome more money into our games [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 01:28 AM

The more the merrier. Let them wait, I've discovered most homegame cash games run more like a tourney. The dead money brings enough for the min buy in, loses it and leaves. This happens all too often and I'd just run a tourney, but I like the freedom to add more players as they arrive.

Invite as many as possible and the more than show the more money there is to win [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] You can run two cash games, two different card games, or have a wait list. We like to have a NL cash game with a limit stud game, maybe a razz table, or most of the time PLOE.

Great fun to be had by all. Sometimes we don't even play the hold'em game, as omaha/e is the real game of the future :P
Old 09-08-2005, 08:00 PM

Try collecting the buy-ins in advance and tell the players that the money is non-refundable. Explain your reasoning regarding the desire to have a full table so that everyone has a chance to win part of a substantial prize pool and that you think it to be rude to make a verbal commitment to play and then cancel at the last minute. Other players are counting on a full game and that's what you, as the host, want to deliver.

I host a monthly home game tourney and I collect in advance. I've had no problems getting the money and, shockingly, no cancellations once the funds have been paid.

Good luck.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:03 AM

There's probably a few on your list that will never miss a night if they confirm. These people get first consideration. Then fill in with the others. It's a good idea to remind people that if they have to cancel to let you know as far in advance as possible.

Collecting tourney entries prior is beneficial also. Even if someone doesn't make it (I refund those) it makes them more likely to come when they are wavering.