Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2005, 03:03 AM

Default First time playing Badugi... UGH!

whoa...ahem...did I forget to mention...WHOA..
needless to say, I got creamed!! Is there any literature on the game? *sigh* I feel like Bruce Willis in Die Hard when he was crawling through that vent in the elevator shaft.. "Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs?"
Old 08-13-2005, 03:29 AM

Default Re: First time playing Badugi... UGH!

My personal thought is that Badugi is the game they made up when triple draw had too much written about. j/k

There's pretty well nothing written about the game other than the rules. I have a feeling most regulars like it that way. There's a few worthwhile posts on this forum that discuss basic strategy questions; that's it as far as I know.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]

There's pretty well nothing written about the game including a consistent set of rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There's pretty well nothing written about the game including a consistent set of rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

The core rule of this game is that 4-suited unpaired hands (called "padookis") beat all other hands. But there's no consensus on how to rank non-padooki hands, and I've seen three different ways of doing it:

1. If no one has a 4-card padooki, you rank the hands by their best 3-card padooki. If no one has a 3-card padooki, then you rank the hands by their best 2-card padooki.

2. If no one has a 4-card padooki, you rank the hands by standard lowball rankings.

3. Padookis don't have to be unpaired. A 4-suited hand with a pair beats all hands that don't have four different suits.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:56 PM

I'm pretty sure the rules in LA are as follows:
Any 4 card Badugi beats a 3 card Badugi, 3 card Badugi beats 2 card Badugi and so on. Pairs, like duplicated suits don't count against you, other than that they make your hand a 3 card Badugi. For example As 2c 3h Ah is a 3 high or nut three card Badugi, which beats any other worse 3 card Badugi, even if it is unpaired ie. Ac 2h 4s Js. (Number 1 method that Iceman described is used.) By this set of rules the nut worst possible hand is Ks Kc Kh Kd, or a 1 card King high Badugi (even though you have the four suits, the pairs cancel out to a one card Badugi)
Old 10-29-2005, 11:43 AM

This game is played a lot in England. It is always played Pot Limit, and we spell it padooki or paduki. The hand rankings are different in England and it is consistent throughout the country because the game is played so much. The way the hand rankings work in England creates a much greater depth of strategy, as I will explain:

A padooki is obviously 4 unpaired card all of different suits (A234 is the nuts, KQJT is the worst padooki)

Any padooki will beat any flush (A234 with, say, the 2 and 3 of spades is a flush)

Any flush beats any paired hand

If you have a flush, it does not matter whether you have only 2 cards of the same suit. The 'nut flush' is A234 regardless of whether you have only 2 cards of the same suit or all 4 cards of the same suit.

Unlike in the rules in the USA, all 4 cards in your hand play.

The reason why this adds a huge depth of strategy is because a good flush can sometimes be a strong hand. One common play is to hit a good flush on first or second change, bet the pot, and stand pat. As long as it is not a big multi-way pot this often allows you to win the hand when your opponents fail to make their padookis. The pot limit nature of the game in England makes this play more effective.

Another (well-known and over-used) play occurs when you are all-in heads up against a guy who you suspect has been playing a pat big padooki (maybe a J, Q or K) fast. This play is made when there are still draws to come and you are ot of position. Basically, you draw a card and he stands pat. You find you have missed your padooki but hit a good flush. So you then stand pat. This puts huge pressure on opponent to break his J or Q or whatever and take a card to improve his padooki. Chances are though that he will fail to make it and will either pair up or make a worse flush than yours. So you are bluffing even when all-in!

It seems to me that the US rules where you might only use 3 cards from your hand takes many of the moves out of the game. Padooki is a highly skillful game if it is played Pot-limit and the stacks are very deep. When players have only 100 or 200 BBs it is a game of relatively shallow strategy and you must 'hit to win' (I imagine this is the case when played at limit as well). When players have over 1000 BBs padooki is a totally different game. There are so many moves to be made and it is a game that requires a huge amount of skill.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There's pretty well nothing written about the game including a consistent spelling of the name of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP.
Old 10-30-2005, 07:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems to me that the US rules where you might only use 3 cards from your hand takes many of the moves out of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's played both ways in the states, and I also prefer the method you describe. I also like it in high-low games such as triple draw 45, and mississippi studooki.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:44 AM

I have never heard of this game before but we used to play a 'light switch' or 'on/off' low in some of our games in which you had to make a four card low that was either rainbow or all the same suit...

How many rounds of betting are there?

Rob
Old 10-31-2005, 01:56 AM

In triple draw 45, each player is dealt 5 cards, round of betting, draw, round of betting, draw, round of betting, draw, round of betting. Best 5-card high splits the pot with best 4-card low.

In mississippi studooki, each player receives 2 down and one up, round of betting, each player receives 2 up, round of betting, each player receives 1 up, round of betting, each player receives 1 up, round of betting. Best 5-card high splits the pot with best 4-card low.

Each game has four rounds of betting, and both are big-bet games.