Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Am I underrated?
No 34 85.00%
Yes 6 15.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2005, 08:12 PM

Default Help an Old Man With Bad Eyesight Multi-table

I’m ancient (51) by today’s 2+2 standards. In part due to my age and genetically bad eyesight I have trouble seeing table data on my LCD (a 21.5” Samsung 213T) and CRT (a 22” Viewsonic P225f Professional series) monitors in 1600 by 1200 resolution. For the most part I stick to 1024 by 768 and play four 6-handed tables with some overlap. But I’m ready to play more tables and would rather not overlap.

I think my vision problems result from sitting too far away from the displays due to the way my desk unit is set up (an Office Depot type corner configuration, with the displays set back on a fixed stand and the keyboard drawer keeping me quite a distance away from the desk). If I lean uncomfortably forward, I can easily see data at 1600 by 1200 with my prescription readers.

I’m using a poll to make answering easy, but any comments appreciated. I’m asking about the keyboard drawer because I can sit closer by either removing the display stand (sliding the displays forward) or by removing the keyboard drawer and raising my chair.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:18 PM

Default Re: Help an Old Man With Bad Eyesight Multi-table

I didn't put the keyboard drawer on when I set up my desk. I wanted to be able to sit higher and lean back so I like the extra room under the table that would have been taken up by the drawer.

My monitors are about 8 inches away from my fingers when I extend my arm. I would actually like to be a little farther back so that I wouldn't have to turn my head so much when playing. I sit as far away as I can and still reach the mouse on the edge of the table.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:19 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Hi Rick,

I'd ditch the in desk keyboard holder. They just don't work at the right level for me. Ergonomically they may be better but I really doubt it, especially since the keyboards in general are not ergonomic in the least. For poker that doesn't really matter much since what you really need is an ergonmic mouse along with a nice ergonomic rest to use the mouse with. I really want to sit comfortably with good posture, relaxed and rested if I'm programming or working on my poker game.

As for the monitors distance, if you have a problem with the highrt resolutions I'm afraid your going to have to head for more screens. Despite changing glasses several times, nothing makes the darn stuff look bigger, other than increasing the real estate space. Having the LCD closer to you won't hurt anything but you really don't want to be right up on the CRT. I use to creat super migrains for myself working to close to my 21" crt's, but then again I was programming in 16hour shifts.
Old 08-09-2005, 08:24 PM

Laser surgery....~$900/eye....20/20 vision...
Old 08-09-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Laser surgery....~$900/eye....20/20 vision...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. If your eyesight continues to worsen on consistent basis, you will find yourself back wearing glasses within a year.

They recommend you demonstrate 3-4 years of consistency in your lens script before opting for laser eye.

Rick states he has genetically bad eyesight so this probably isn't an option.
Old 08-09-2005, 09:27 PM

I'm sitting closer than any of your options. Feels like my eyeballs are about 18 inches from my notebook monitor.
Old 08-09-2005, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sitting closer than any of your options. Feels like my eyeballs are about 18 inches from my notebook monitor.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to sit so that I still have about eight inches before I can touch either the CRT or LCD. Given the responses so far, I'm probably going to experiment first by getting rid of the keyboard drawer.

It seems silly questions to ask, but my nearby friends are Ludites, and it's been a while since I've been around office setups.

~ Rick
Old 08-09-2005, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't put the keyboard drawer on when I set up my desk. I wanted to be able to sit higher and lean back so I like the extra room under the table that would have been taken up by the drawer.

My monitors are about 8 inches away from my fingers when I extend my arm. I would actually like to be a little farther back so that I wouldn't have to turn my head so much when playing. I sit as far away as I can and still reach the mouse on the edge of the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the info. I have a wonderful adjustable chair (the Aeron, subject of many discussions on these forums and on RGP) and I'm going to try to ditch the keyboard drawer first. I'll want to sit closer though. My script seems to work best when I can touch the displays.

~ Rick
Old 08-09-2005, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Rick,

I'd ditch the in desk keyboard holder. They just don't work at the right level for me. Ergonomically they may be better but I really doubt it, especially since the keyboards in general are not ergonomic in the least.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use one of those Microsoft models where the keys are sort of split in half and angled for comfort. I keep a couple spares handy, usually available at computer fairs for about $20.

[ QUOTE ]
For poker that doesn't really matter much since what you really need is an ergonmic mouse along with a nice ergonomic rest to use the mouse with. I really want to sit comfortably with good posture, relaxed and rested if I'm programming or working on my poker game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I have a decent enough mouse but it is corded. I might end up lookiing into a better cordless version though.

[ QUOTE ]
As for the monitors distance, if you have a problem with the highrt resolutions I'm afraid your going to have to head for more screens. Despite changing glasses several times, nothing makes the darn stuff look bigger, other than increasing the real estate space. Having the LCD closer to you won't hurt anything but you really don't want to be right up on the CRT. I use to creat super migrains for myself working to close to my 21" crt's, but then again I was programming in 16hour shifts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't have room for more screens unless I go with a clamp for four like Inthacup. With the LCD and CRT side by side, I really notice that looking at the LCD is far more pleasant. I recent eye exam indicated I have a slight indicator for glacoma, so I'm getting throughly tested next week by an opthamologist. I've heard LCDs are better for the eyes, and will ask his opinion. With the price of another 213T approaching $600, I'll get one if I have to.

~ Rick
Old 08-10-2005, 12:06 AM

There are lots of modifications out there for the images of cards and suchlike on certain sites.

I wonder if you could design a custom set so that you could read the cards very easily... they dont even have to look like regular cards as long as you know what you're after.

I imagine something like a four color deck with just the huge number or letter occupying the entire card, and no suits or anything cluttering up the space, could make things a lot easier to read.

Just a thought

Lori