Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2005, 08:42 PM

Default Already read SSH, drop down to WLLH?

I am a beginner as some of you know. I read SSH first. Understand some parts and am confused about others. Should I go read a lesser book(by some people's accounts) in WLLH, which as I understand presents a totally different play style, or should I stick to SSH, read it again(which I plan to do regardless somewhere along the line) or go just skip WLLH all together and get another book(any suggestions)?
Old 02-25-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: Already read SSH, drop down to WLLH?

Get ITH.

Its a way better book than WLLH for a beginner.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:11 AM

Yeah, ITH is a solid book. Lots of hand examples and exercises to think about. Also just keep reading the forums (microlimits I assume?). These forums are a gold mine of information. You'll get more out of them than you will out of any book in the long run. Good luck.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:12 AM

Keep reading SSHE until you 'get' it.

Then read it again.
Old 02-26-2005, 12:27 AM

Yeah reading these forums is something I will do for as long as I play poker lol.

Well it's settled. I'll read ITH next. Maybe read SSH one more time first to make sure I understand most of the concepts, then move to ITH. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2005, 12:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well it's settled. I'll read ITH next. Maybe read SSH one more time first to make sure I understand most of the concepts, then move to ITH. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Then read SSHE again. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-26-2005, 05:42 AM

*Nobody* completely understands SSH the first time through. I have read it 12+ times now and I still pick up things with every read...
Old 02-26-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
*Nobody* completely understands SSH the first time through. I have read it 12+ times now and I still pick up things with every read...

[/ QUOTE ]

I've read about 8 times.
Gotta read it again. I'm overplaying overcards again.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:30 AM

I'm with Angry on this one. Small Stakes is your best "foundation" book. Before you start getting confused with some of the whim strategies contained in other books, get SSHE into your core memory.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:46 AM

Alright, it looks like I am going against the grain here. I absolutely love WLLH. I think it is the best poker book any beginner could ever read. And it's not just a starter book either. You can consistantly win at any limit following its advice exactly.

When I play, my default play is always the exact advise from WLLH. I only deviate from this play if I have a good reason to do so (read on a player, abnormal table conditions, etc.)

WLLH advice, followed to the letter, will make you a winning player all the way from the micro limits, up to where I am now, $15/30.

WLLH will get you about 80% of the possible profit from the game. SSH, if understood and used properly, will get you that last 20% of possible profit (at the cost of higher variance). To me, the lower variance, safer, eaiser, WLLH advice is best for a beginner.

I've read WLLH at least a half a dozen times, and consistantly have a nice win rate. After reading SSH for the first time, my game took a terrible downswing. I tried to out think every situation, and I basically became a LAG player. I went back and reread SSH, only to find that it is a lot of work to remember it all, only to get that extra 20% of the profit. For now, I'm content with my win rate that comes easily to me from an easy to read and understand book, WLLH.