Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 10:09 PM

Default A hypothetical situation: OOP vs. an agressive opponent

suppose were in the party 50 or 100 game and a player like kukavica opens from the CO, we are in the SB with a hand like 66 or AJ and 3-bet he calls and the flop comes king high.

we bet and he calls.

whats the best way to play the turn?

typically against opponents like kucavica, i like to show these hands down, but this may be a leak because the pot is always going to be relatively small, so theres really not too much room for error.

now suppose we bet and are raised, how often are we ahead at this point?

can it be profitable to call this down?

or if we are ahead, would he fire again on the river?

could calling the turn and folding the river be right?

could 3-betting ever be right?

if we check, we still have no real idea where were at and potentially any river card could hurt us, could checking and calling the turn and river be the best line?

how do possible draws on the board affect our descision?

what if he caps preflop or raises the flop?

what if we have a hand like KJ and the board is A or Q high?

what type of hands will he open from the CO and how often will he make a play for the pot when he misses?

i really dont think theres an easy answer to these questions, maybe they can be answered by one of elindauer's triples, i dont know, but i think this may be a situation i may be misplaying or that i need to vary my play a bit more with, i appreciate any thoughts.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: A hypothetical situation: OOP vs. an agressive opponent

I was actually pondering this very issue this morning. Against a steal from a slovenian, I really hate folding after 3betting, except for on particulalry scary boards. I got into these situations several times yesterday. In one hand, flop was K high and i c/c'd the turn and, it was checked through on the river and my AQ unimproved was good. Unsurprisingly, his bet on the turn was an autobet. He seemed to recognize the fact that I was showing that hand down, and gave up on the river.

With marginal hands, i feel like the c/c on the turn should be used at least sometimes (as long as you are also c/ring sometimes), because a bet will basically be going in 100% of the time. It's not like you have to worry about the free card. So I guess it comes back to how often are we showing down in these situations, which for me is usually.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:46 AM

Default Re: A hypothetical situation: OOP vs. an agressive opponent

[ QUOTE ]
suppose were in the party 50 or 100 game and a player like kukavica opens from the CO, we are in the SB with a hand like 66 or AJ and 3-bet he calls and the flop comes king high.

we bet and he calls.

whats the best way to play the turn?

typically against opponents like kucavica, i like to show these hands down, but this may be a leak because the pot is always going to be relatively small, so theres really not too much room for error.

now suppose we bet and are raised, how often are we ahead at this point?

can it be profitable to call this down?

or if we are ahead, would he fire again on the river?

could calling the turn and folding the river be right?

could 3-betting ever be right?

if we check, we still have no real idea where were at and potentially any river card could hurt us, could checking and calling the turn and river be the best line?

how do possible draws on the board affect our descision?

what if he caps preflop or raises the flop?

what if we have a hand like KJ and the board is A or Q high?

what type of hands will he open from the CO and how often will he make a play for the pot when he misses?

i really dont think theres an easy answer to these questions, maybe they can be answered by one of elindauer's triples, i dont know, but i think this may be a situation i may be misplaying or that i need to vary my play a bit more with, i appreciate any thoughts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its hard to answer many of these questions, since its usually hard to play out of position against a super aggressive player. What I will say is this, and this is just a radical idea to think about...
Lets say the aggressive player open raises on the button, and you 3 bet it with XX. Dont be afraid to check many flops. Yes it may sound weird and unnatural to 3 bet preflop and then check, but this is the way I look at it against this kind of super agg opponent. First of all the main reason you are 3 betting preflop is to get the big blind out and get HU with the likely best hand against this opponent. Once the BB folds and you accomplish this objective theres no reason you have to follow through and bet the flop. Lets say for example you have AJ, you 3 bet, the BB folds and the flop comes out K83, consider checking and calling all the way. By playing this meekly against this super agg opponent you can never get outplayed off the best hand, and you minimize your loss when he outflops you, and you still make money with the best hand when he bets it for you.
You also need to 3 bet and check even good flops against this type of opponent to balance your strategy. Like if you had AJ and the flop came out A83. You should once again consider checking and calling all the way, or checking and calling all the way but checkraising the river. Whats great about this strategy when you actually make a hand is that many times you will induce the aggressive player to bet all the way with no outs and the bets you make from a person when he is drawing dead are much more valuable than the bets that go in when your opponent is drawing live. By playing your hands in this awkward way you will effectively take away all the powers if this super aggressive player.
I'm not saying you should take this 3bet/check flop line every time against super aggessive opponents, but this is definitely a line you should have in your arsenal. And of course the time to take this line is when you are 3 betttin with a hand that has showdown value.