Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Coldcalling QQ preflop

5/10 NL at Rio. I am generally LAG but I had only been playing with these opponents for about 15 minutes when I picked QQ. I had won one pot earlier with AK but didn't show. I folded the rest of my hands preflop.

I was 2 off the button. MP1 is loose, weak. MP3 seems very solid. I put him on TT-AA or, probably, AK. I am next to act. Does anyone else just call here? I figured this would maximize the effect of my position.

Also, what to do on the flop?

10 handed.
MP1: $700
MP3: $900+
Hero: $900

Pre-Flop: MP1 calls, MP3 raises to $60. Hero Calls with Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Folds to MP1, who calls.

Flop ($191): 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. MP1 bets $50. MP3 calls. Hero?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: Coldcalling QQ preflop

Raises to $200.

Clearly, a wa/wb situation. If the former, make him pay to try to catch an A, K or 5.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:52 PM

I don't see how calling is corect and I can't fold here I would make it $175. I would most likley think you have the best hand. If mp3 Had AA-KK a raise from him would have been his best option and the limper could have a wide range of hands you beat.

Hows my thinking?
Old 12-02-2005, 03:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raises to $200.

Clearly, a wa/wb situation. If the former, make him pay to try to catch an A, K or 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is very wrong. A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is just one of many hands either player could have that make this NOT a WA/WB scenario.

Also, if it was a WA/WB scenario, raise is not the right answer either.

D
Old 12-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Just calling that small flop bet and waiting to see what happens on the turn is fine.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:03 PM

you could A.) call, on a safe turn pump it up cause you do have position. B.) how are these guys going to play AJs or a hand like that, personally I would PUMP IT UP, others would "call and wait to improve to make more." I would put MP on AK etc. and the other guy could easily have a set, or middle pair, like 88. Personally I would make it $200 to go on flop and be willing to get it all in. But that's with my style. Also $900 at 5/10 NL is only 90 BB so I have no problem getting it all in on flop. With deeper stacks I call in position and see what turn brings.
Old 12-02-2005, 04:04 PM

Also, it's live, so people have a LOT harder time laying down JJ TT then they do online, so that weighs into my analysis too.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:37 PM

Stick it to $200.

You've cold called the flop, effictively trapping him into thinking his (most likely) lesser hand is good. Now is the time to either take this down or find out where exactly everyone is. You don't want to risk letting that draw hit for cheap...especially because his bet kind of feels like a blocking bet...I don't know why, just does. I'm putting him on something like A-K/Q or JJ/10-10. If he's got some spades in that Ax option, I think he's definately sticking around, and, being live, I don't think the other option is folding. This raise does put you in the driver's seat for the hand though.

If check raised later, I'm probably vomitting and then folding.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raises to $200.

Clearly, not at all a wa/wb situation. If the former, make him pay to try to catch an A, K or 5.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's more like it.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:39 PM

BTW everyone - I posted a hand nearly exactly like this one about 2 months ago - I held QQ, I flat called preflop, flop was nearly identical, other caller lead out, original raiser called etc... and the consensus of nearly everyone - Diablo, RBK etc. was that this was a call. Look it up if you want, I think it was called Unexciting Fold or something.