Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2005, 07:15 PM

Default Getting started in holdem qustions for Ed miller

Hey i have been playing holem for a year and consider my self pretty good after playing thounsands of hands and reading Holdem books over and over to master them.Such books would consist of Small stakes holdem and Holdem for advanced players. But What can getting started in holdem teach me? Is it for begginers or a advanced player can learn more as well,Can i apply the startagies in this book at any limit or certain limits? Ed miller if you have time i sure would appecaite it ty.
Old 05-05-2005, 01:23 PM

Default Re: Getting started in holdem qustions for Ed miller

If you understood SSH it will teach you nothing new about limit hold'em. It is still a good book to own, as it's a beginner's book I can lend to inquisitive friends without a 30 minute lecture about in which way the book (ITH or WLLH) sucks but is the best of a bad selection.

The short-stacked NL chapter will pay for the book instantly though. (Though anyone who is familiar with poker and gives some thought to it should be able to figure out to horribly abuse the privilege of being a short stack in cash games.)
Old 05-05-2005, 02:06 PM

I read SSHE several times as I was beginning to play holdem. I can fully say that GSIH has helped me even though I had already read and mostly understood SSHE.

Just from today at lunch playing .5/$1 limit on Paradise, I was able to pay for GSIH twice over. Just switching from the SSHE starting position hands to the GSIH hands has improved my game from slightly better than breakeven to a winning player.

Im also looking forward to using the NL cash game stratagey tonight for the first time. I had never read a book on NL before this one and from what I understand, the NL section alone is worth the price of the book.

Greg
Old 05-05-2005, 03:50 PM

Just curious, what's the basic difference in starting hand charts?
Old 05-05-2005, 04:40 PM

Much much tighter starting hand chart. It relies much less on playing post flop goot. Where SSH basic hand charts are designed to get you in there with the bad players more often because the assumption is you will be making more correct decisions after the flop.
Old 05-06-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Just curious, what's the basic difference in starting hand charts?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would also say that they are more agressive. I feel that I am raising a lot more preflop. I think that the tighter and more agressive nature of the hand chart makes it ideal for low limits and non-expert post flop play. I am no master of post flop play and I will freely admit it. However my post flop play has improved and my post flop agression is way up (a good sign I think) because I am involved in many less questionable situations.

I have moved from from being a LAG/Passive to a TAG just using these charts.

Greg
Old 05-07-2005, 04:02 AM

does it tell you what starting hands tell to do if you call on preflop and then someone raise afer you.

does it tell you what starting hands to do if there a raise and another re-raise in front of you?

does it tell you what starting hands to do if there a raise in front of you?

does it tell you what starting hands to do if you raise preflop and someone else re-raise after you?

is the starting hand chart easy to follow?

thanks
Old 05-07-2005, 09:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
does it tell you what starting hands tell to do if you call on preflop and then someone raise afer you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You always call a single raise, and tighten up if it's 2 more back to you. And it says so.

[ QUOTE ]
does it tell you what starting hands to do if there a raise and another re-raise in front of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
does it tell you what starting hands to do if there a raise in front of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

[ QUOTE ]
does it tell you what starting hands to do if you raise preflop and someone else re-raise after you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. And the answer is once again trivial.

[ QUOTE ]
is the starting hand chart easy to follow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

You've been on this forum for a while now, how can you not know the answer to all these questions by now?