Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 04-29-2005, 12:28 PM

Default Ed Miller: GSIH question

Ed Miller.

great book.

a few questions:

how many months we should use the concept in GSIH and play low limit holdem before we move on to SSH?

i also notice you dont talk much about Implied odds. do you want beginners not to use it much when playing. just concentrate more on pot odds and outs odds for now until we read SSH?

i also see some concept that in ssh not in GSIH like slowplaying, check raise, free card. is it best not to worry about them until we read SSH. just follow what GSIH has for now and get use of the fundamentals first when playing?

also is the limit pre flop chart on GSIH the same as SSH tight chart?

do you recommend when going from GSIH to SSh, is to use the Tight chart first in SSH?

thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: Ed Miller: GSIH question

I also have a GSIH question that maybe wont Hijack the thread.

What is the VPIP of the GSIH preflop strategy? I've switched to playing with it instead of the SSHE strategy because I feel that it makes my decisions easier pre and post flop. I also like it because it actually seems to be a little more agressive with raising, and I'm not spewing as many chips on speculative hands (Axs for example).

I think that I'm going to stick with the GSIH preflop strategy until my post flop play improves a little more then move back to the SSHE strategy.

Just curious to see what kind of VPIP numbers I should be expecting.

Thanks,
Greg
Old 05-01-2005, 04:10 AM

bump
Old 05-02-2005, 09:34 AM

bump
Old 05-02-2005, 09:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
great book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
how many months we should use the concept in GSIH and play low limit holdem before we move on to SSH?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a very personal decision, but I expect most people will be ready to start reading SSH after perhaps two or three months.

[ QUOTE ]
i also notice you dont talk much about Implied odds. do you want beginners not to use it much when playing. just concentrate more on pot odds and outs odds for now until we read SSH?

[/ QUOTE ]

I left out several "more advanced" concepts and glossed over some others. GSIH is not intended to be in any way comprehensive. It's intended to give new players a feel for the game, keep them out of too much trouble, and give them the foundation to read SSH.

[ QUOTE ]
i also see some concept that in ssh not in GSIH like slowplaying, check raise, free card. is it best not to worry about them until we read SSH. just follow what GSIH has for now and get use of the fundamentals first when playing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, GSIH is intended to be an approachable, yet challenging, introduction to hold 'em. Some ideas aren't introduced until SSH.

[ QUOTE ]
also is the limit pre flop chart on GSIH the same as SSH tight chart?

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some differences. The GSIH chart is a bit tighter.

[ QUOTE ]
do you recommend when going from GSIH to SSh, is to use the Tight chart first in SSH?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fine. Everyone is different, and I wouldn't make a blanket recommendation like that, but if you feel more comfortable doing that, there's nothing really wrong with it.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What is the VPIP of the GSIH preflop strategy? I've switched to playing with it instead of the SSHE strategy because I feel that it makes my decisions easier pre and post flop. I also like it because it actually seems to be a little more agressive with raising, and I'm not spewing as many chips on speculative hands (Axs for example).

I think that I'm going to stick with the GSIH preflop strategy until my post flop play improves a little more then move back to the SSHE strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure. The GSIH charts were designed to be a notch tighter than the SSH tight game chart. I'd guess the SSH tight game chart comes in around 18-20% VPIP, so GSIH might be maybe 16-18%. That's just a guess.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:38 PM

I don't have GSIH but my best guess having taught a few people by tightening up SSHE's tight chart a small bit is that VPIP will be in the 12-15 range based on what my students numbers are.

Again, sadly they don't pay me.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:38 AM

It never ceases to amaze me that people get so engrossed with pre-flop hand charts instead of focusing on their post-flop play.

Almost all hold'em books have decent preflop hand charts. There just isn't a huge difference in most of the books. The truly great books (like Ed's works) focus on post-flop play.
Old 05-03-2005, 10:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure. The GSIH charts were designed to be a notch tighter than the SSH tight game chart. I'd guess the SSH tight game chart comes in around 18-20% VPIP, so GSIH might be maybe 16-18%. That's just a guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ed,

On a very small sample size Ive been getting about 17%. Ill check in again after 10K hands. I just wanted to say that I fee that I read several times and understood SSHE. However I feel that the starting hands chart is inferior to GSIH for the newer player. Since switching to this chart I have had dramatically better results. (I know that it might just be variance but we will see) I feel that I have been involved in less close call situations and as a result my play has become much more agressive post flop. Eventually I may "Graduate" back to the SSHE charts but for now Im sticking with the ones in GSIH. I really feel that it was the missing key in my game.

Thanks for the great books,
Greg
Old 05-03-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It never ceases to amaze me that people get so engrossed with pre-flop hand charts instead of focusing on their post-flop play.

Almost all hold'em books have decent preflop hand charts. There just isn't a huge difference in most of the books. The truly great books (like Ed's works) focus on post-flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe, but it made a big differnce for me.

Greg