Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 12:18 PM

Default QQ vs. AK

I have been on the shortend of QQ vs. AK so many times that I need some input. If you knew you had this match preflop how excited should you be to get your money in. Last night I rerasied all in and he called.

I have seen some proponents to calling and pushing if an A or K dosen't fall.

Help
Old 01-31-2005, 12:24 PM

Default Re: QQ vs. AK

very very excited.

well, if you like money you should be.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:38 PM

i dont see any reason to push if an A or K doesnt fall unless you are very short stacked. bet 3/4 to full size of the pot and you should be fine.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:46 PM

In this case if I called the the raise preflop a push on a non-a-k board would have been my only real move, I was short stacked The raise was 160 to me and I had a little less then 400 left. I don't think call is correct here, am I wrong.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:37 PM

QQ is a 57.5% favourite over AKo, assuming one of the QQ suits are live, which is average. This is half-way towards the edge KK have over AKs (65%).

It's a brilliant spot to be in.

lars
Old 02-01-2005, 07:14 PM

I have been on the bad end of this spot enough to make me leary about pushing all in with QQ. I cant possibly have a read good enough to say AA or KK are not out against me because people often get the same look with them as they do with AK. If you like risking all your money on a coin flip then by all means flip away. Just remember how big of a dog you are if they have AA or KK. That being said I just prefer to call preflop to see the board, if an A or K comes I can get away from my hand without risking all my money. If nothing comes, Im in a great position to make AK chase and with two to come the odds are now greater for me. If I am up agains AA or KK Im probably going to lose money either way I play it but I gave myself the best chance. Aggressive opponents will argue that if you push before the flop they have the initiative but AK probably will not fold no matter how hard you push. My 2cents, good luck to you.