Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2004, 07:22 PM

Default Missed Placed Aggression?

20/40 Foxwoods. Not an overly tight game 1 or 2 weaker players a few rocks. Most pre flop raises being called by anyone all ready in.

I am on the button with Ad 10d it is raise in mp by a firly tight player called by lp myself and the bb.
Flop 7 8 10
bb bets out raiser raises lp folds I three bet is this logical. My thinking was fold or raise?

Hand 2
Lp I limp in behind 5 others with Q9s
Flop K 9 3 rainbow. It is checked around.
Turn Q
It again is checked to me I bet UTG raises all fold to me I reraise.
River blank
I bet out. I didn't put him on j 10 but a weak k. Comments Please

Thanks
Old 09-19-2004, 07:36 PM

Default Re: Missed Placed Aggression?

Calling two cold with ATo even against a bad player is costly. How many hands could you be calling where you were ahead? Contrast that to the number of hands where you're badly dominated. If you pledged right now to never call two cold for the rest of your poker life with ATo it would save you lots of money. That said, I don't know that threebetting the flop helps much. If you are not behind your hand is very vulnerable to any card greater than a Ten or any card that connects to the straight. I say see the turn as cheaply as possible and then make your decision.

I think the second hand is a good example of appropriate aggression.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:37 PM

Sorry, reread the post and realize it was ATs - I still don't like the call but it's not as bad.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:49 PM

hi king

you can raise the pre-flop in hand 1, depending on the situation, but the call is fine. looks best here. the flop isn't quite fold or raise. i like the reraise though.

in hand 2, when it's checked to you, you should bet on the flop. on the turn, it's usually better to call it down, unless you have solid opponent knowledge on the raiser, and have good grounds for believing that he would raise with a draw or 1 pair. this looks too much like K's up to ignore, unless he is the type that would bet it like this. another thing; if he has a weak K, then the 3 bet will only work to fold him out. you really don't mind him taking a shot at it with his weak K on the river.
Old 09-19-2004, 07:54 PM

First hand: You say that the mp raiser is pretty tight. How aggressive is he? Would he raise this flop with just overcards? Also, do you have a backdoor flush draw? Against a tight player with high preflop raising standards, I'd just muck it pre-flop.

2nd hand: I think you played it fine. I'd probably bet the flop.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:21 PM

The point about a weaker hand staying in is some times lost on me. I will often raise with intention off getting people out first instead of value. I must work on this.

Thanks