Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2004, 10:47 AM

Default I Cold Called w/AJo!

Mostly typical Party table...MP2 seemed to be a solid player.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">MP2 <font color="purple">(Solid Player)</font> raises</font>, CO (poster) calls, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls,

Ok, I'm thinking, solid player, 1st in, could be raising with a less than normal raising hand. So I called. If I'm going to play this hand, should I have 3-bet?

Flop: (8.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, Solid Player checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, Hero calls, BB folds, Solid Player calls.

Turn: (5.75 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Solid Player checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Solid Player calls, CO calls.

River: (8.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Solid Player checks, CO checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Solid Player calls, CO folds.

Final Pot: 10.75 BB
Old 07-20-2004, 10:52 AM

Default Re: I Cold Called w/AJo!

C-
Fold this. (as in period!) [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

You can 3-bet here against a loose raiser
Old 07-20-2004, 10:53 AM

Don't coldcall a solid player's raise with AJo. There's a very good chance you're dominated by anyone with reasonable raising standards.

If you're going to play AJo vs. a raise, your options in order from best to worst are:

-fold
-3-bet
-coldcall
Old 07-20-2004, 12:56 PM

I really felt like the descision to play the hand wasn't a bad one. Solid player 1st in raises, with CO(poster), me, and the blinds left to act. He could be raising a variety of hands...what would you raise with in that situation.

CO(poster), don't know anything about him, but once again, he could call one with a wide range of hands.

So I'm thinking(maybe thats my problem [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]), that there's a good chance I'm ahead.

I don't think I was way off to play the hand, I just didn't play it very well, starting with not 3-betting.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're going to play AJo vs. a raise, your options in order from best to worst are:

-fold
-3-bet
-coldcall

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to put a little more emphasis on Brad's post. Under normal circumstances, I'd say your options in order from best to worst are:

-fold

-3-bet
-coldcall

If solid MP will openraise with a wider range range of hands because of the poster, I would say your options in order from best to worst are:

-fold
-3-bet
-coldcall
Old 07-20-2004, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think I was way off to play the hand, I just didn't play it very well, starting with not 3-betting.

[/ QUOTE ]

I still think you were way off to play the hand, but I agree that calling is worse than 3-betting. You make some good points, but again, against a solid player's EP raise, you've got reverse implied odds working against you.

If you flop an A, and he doesn't have one, it's pretty easy for him to get away from his hand cheaply. If you flop an A, and he has one, it's going to dominate yours almost all of the time. If the flop is J high, he'll make you pay when he has AA/KK/QQ/JJ, and he'll pretty easily be able to get away from AK/AQ.

So if for some reason you must play this hand, you have to 3-bet to get extra money from the CO poster and to drop the blinds. AJo doesn't want company. Also, seeing if MP2 caps or not will help your postflop play.

3-betting also gets him to fold AK/AQ/KQ some of the time when you both miss. Aggression=outs.

So yeah, I'm still folding this preflop, but if I decided to play it I'd 3-bet for sure and hope for the best.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:25 PM

Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]... MP2 (Solid Player) raises... Hero calls

BOOOOOOOOOOO.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:25 PM

charlie t,

I do agree with you that a solid player will raise somewhat light in this situation. But I agree with the others that this is still a fold. 3-betting would be better than calling but I fold here every time. The problem is that even though a solid player is now raising with a somewhat wider range of hands, AJo is still not exactly in the top of that range and you are in big trouble if his hand is. I would occasionally 3-bet this but not against a solid opponent. You may not get paid off if you do catch him raising very light anyway.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:32 PM

This hand normally hits the muck, when faced with a raise. This was an unusal hand for me, which is why I posted. But as I pointed out, I felt like the solid player could be raising with a wide range of hands.

I didn't feel bad about playing the hand, just that I played it like a wuss afterwards...should've definitly shown more aggression.

No doubt it was a loose call, and I goofed it up from pre-flop on.

5 1/2 SB, when it got to me pre-flop, probably not enough to fight over, even though I felt there was a good chance I was ahead.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:35 PM

[quoteBOOOOOOOOOOO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo for the call and not raising, or for being involved at all? See my other posts, as to why I felt like getting involved.