Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-31-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Re: White Stripes

I think Jack White is a great songwriter. Stuff like "Dorbell" is really catchy and surprisingly original.

That said, I'm with you. I've got two problems with the band that I can't get past:

1. Meg White is a terrible drummer. If you're going to form a gimmick band based off a power-duo, you'd better have a good guitarist and a great drummer. Case in point: I can't stand Local-H, but the drummer is pretty good as I recall.

2. The getups they wear are just retarded and distract from the music. I can't stand bands that play dress-up because they think it's entertaining (part of the reason crap like Marylin Manson annoys me so much). Obviously Beck is excluded from this requirement.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:55 PM

I can't stand bands that play dress-up because they think it's entertaining

Why? It is entertaining.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:01 PM

The fact that Meg White can't hold a tune is deliberate IMO, it really is the Jack White show.

I love their music, tongue in cheek interviews, cool videos and constant references to the man in my avatar.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:22 PM

everyone saying jack white isn't a good guitarist likely has just heard a few of their big (simple) hits. He's a great guitarist and seeing him live will show you his soloing abilities.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:40 PM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

the white stripes are the best.
although the last album was very disappointing... i just hope they decide to stop being weird now since get behind me satan, and go back in the direction of awesomeness of the s/t and de stijl.

i can understand how someone wouldn't like them though. not everyone is into good music. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i was very excited when i heard they started being all mainstream and on mtv and stuff, because i they deserve to be known. it was kinda cool. i was like "woah, people actually like music i listen to, that is weird!" because usually people hate anything i like. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

i'm glad they have helped make garage rock'n'roll more popular too. i wish more people liked the same music as me.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:16 PM

White Blood Cells is pretty much [censored] amazing.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:34 PM

it took until the 5th post in this thread for me to realize it was about 'the white stripes' and not crest 'white strips'.

that said i am a fan of the white stripes, but they would get blown out of the room by death from above 1979.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:36 PM

gorie,

do you like the black keys?

inquisitively,
asofel
Old 12-31-2005, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
am I the only one who thinks this is much ado about nothing?

They kinda blow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aww come on, insufferable white hacks ripping off black music is a great American tradition!

But seriously he's a good guitari blah blah blah brilliant songwri blah blah blah who cares their songs suck. Except for 3 or 4 off the earlier albums. GBMS has zero good songs.
Old 12-31-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
everyone saying jack white isn't a good guitarist likely has just heard a few of their big (simple) hits. He's a great guitarist and seeing him live will show you his soloing abilities.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are weird live, though. They run so hot and cold it really depends on what night you see them. I've seen them give some really great shows and I've also seen some shows where they were obviously phoning it in.