Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-26-2005, 03:18 PM

Default 20/40 top set

20/40, we both have about 12k. I've been playing kind of fast. No one has really been challenging me. The table just witnessed someone go on mega tilt and drop like 15k in about 5 minutes. He has left. Both mine and villain's stacks are the prime benefactors. Villain is tight, and snapped off a squeeze play of mine earlier for a stack. I suppose it was a good investment as I see that he will stack off with TPTK, though he could have just read me as squeezing, it was one of the first hands I played so he couldn't have possibly read me that well, maybe he was just looking me up. Whatever, fast forward, I'm playing fast, giving lots of action but showing down winners, he has been quiet.

I raise QQ UTG to 160 after a post in the CO, I get 4 callers.

Flop QJ7 two tone ($700+)

I lead for $500, only villain calls.

Turn 5o

I lead for 3k, he calls.

River 2o

Action?

Like to hear thoughts on turn play.

Oh yeah, Only other hand we have played is I limp 44 UTG everyone limps, villain raises on button, flop comes A67 checked around, turn 5, villain bets, I call someone else calls, river 5, I lead for 1200 (2/3 pot), other guy mucks, villain thinks forever and calls with 99. I should have bet more.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: 20/40 top set

I'd go for a check/raise here, you're both deep and that's really the only way for a good shot at his stack. If he has a set or two pair I'm guessing he'll bet out and maybe he'll bluff with a missed flush/straight draw which I think is his most likely holding. The hands he'd check behind here with are probably missed draws which won't call another bet anyway or 1 pair hands. It's hard to put him on a queen.. the only hand he might call another bet on the river with but not bet himself are an overpair or maybe AJ but not sure if he'd even call with that unless he sees you as really aggressive.

edit: didn't really notice the huge overbet on turn, I guess if he'll call that overbet a push or close to it is fine
Old 12-26-2005, 03:33 PM

Well, since you've been playing fast and if he's aware of that, with the memory of the 44 hand you posted, i'd lead out small on the river and hope that he re-raises you because he thinks you are weak...i like the turn play since you've been playing fast..
Old 12-26-2005, 03:37 PM

I'd push....

Pot is 7700....U have ~8500 left......
Old 12-26-2005, 03:38 PM

I'd bet 4k-5k. Him calling 3k on the turn makes a river bluff rather unlikely.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:40 PM

why push? unless you can put him on a lower set, do you think EV(push) > EV(small bet)...what if he has two pairs? playing fairly tight and possibly just trying to get a showdown for as cheap as possible??
Old 12-26-2005, 03:42 PM

almost 8k in the pot. you both have barely more than the pot left. opponent has shown a propensity to make calls. you are playing fast. push in all the chippies.

chance he could have a big draw (KTs, or gutterball+flush draw) that you could get money out of by giving him chance to bluff if you check. but i think you make more money by getting it in.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:15 PM

I vote for a check.

Your huge turn bet looks like a bluff and checking would be feigning giving up on the river. Villian can really only call that turn bet with 2 pair or a set (maybe AQ i really doubt it though). I think by pushing you are giving 2 pair a chance to fold but if you check it will certainly value bet. Obviously if villain holds a set the money is going in either way, but I think a push on the end scares off some 2 pair hands.
Old 12-26-2005, 05:46 PM

If he's not on a flush draw, he's calling a push, IMO. Do you think he'd call that turn bet with a flush draw or KT?
Old 12-26-2005, 05:48 PM

yes