Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-23-2005, 03:49 AM

Default Re: dear God when will it end?

[ QUOTE ]
Meh. If you don't want to tip, then don't. But why so upset at having it there for people who do want to tip?

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate feeling like an [censored] for not tipping. Which I suppose is some inner conflict I need to resolve and not the fault of the chick at starbucks.

Either way tho I think it is incredibly lame that the people who work at places like starbucks and subway feel they are entitled to tips, yet their job is nothing like any of the other proffesions that earn tips, and is pretty much exactly like the guy working the fryer at Mcdonalds who would never dream of getting tipped.

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I almost never tip at coffee shops. If the girl at the counter is especially cute I might. If I paid cash, I always leave my change on the countertop for the next person (same with fast food before I gave it up and grocery stores and stuff). Funny thing, yesterday at the coffee shop right outside Nordstrom I put my change on the counter (some really rando amount like $.72 or something) and walked over to pick up my drip. Like 15 seconds later as I was walking away to join some friends who already had a table, the 30'ish year old lady who was behind me in line yells at me in excitement to tell me I left her the exact change she needed. She seemed really over-excited by it which made me smile.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

I remember a long time ago in a thread talking about how I throw my pennies away because I dont want them, and you mentioned how you leave your change on the counter all the time. Since then i've been doing that a lot.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 AM

The drive thru by Hollywood Park used to have one, but I'm guessing it got stolen too many times.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:54 AM

I always toss pennies and nickels (dimes sometimes, it depends) in the tip cups because I never spend them anyway, and that's better than them ending up on the floor or between the couch cushions or in the trash or wherever.
Old 12-23-2005, 03:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Either way tho I think it is incredibly lame that the people who work at places like starbucks and subway feel they are entitled to tips, yet their job is nothing like any of the other proffesions that earn tips, and is pretty much exactly like the guy working the fryer at Mcdonalds who would never dream of getting tipped.

[/ QUOTE ]
If somebody, even if it's only one customer, might want to leave a tip for me, should I not accept it? It seems illogical for the employees not to have a tip cup available as long as the company allows it. That the cup is out there doesn't necessarily mean the employees feel any sort of "entitlement" to tips at all, although I would suspect some mentality of entitlement would form over time in the minds of some employees in some industries.

[ QUOTE ]
I remember a long time ago in a thread talking about how I throw my pennies away because I dont want them, and you mentioned how you leave your change on the counter all the time. Since then i've been doing that a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Woot!

GoT
Old 12-23-2005, 04:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If somebody, even if it's only one customer, might want to leave a tip for me, should I not accept it? It seems illogical for the employees not to have a tip cup available as long as the company allows it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I suppose, but I think that falls into the "when will it end??" point of my post. How long before there is a tip cup at the counter of blockbusters, or in front of the cashier at WAL-mart? At some point you have to admit it becomes completely absurd, for me that point is a drive thru window at a menial job

[ QUOTE ]
That the cup is out there doesn't necessarily mean the employees feel any sort of "entitlement" to tips at all, although I would suspect some mentality of entitlement would form over time in the minds of some employees in some industries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, I think when you are perching a plastic cup on a 2" ledge outside a drive thru window, which is lets be honest, a completely RETARDED location in terms of security, it comes off as you feeling entilted to it.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If the girl at the counter is especially cute I might.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 12-23-2005, 06:15 AM

hi didnt tip.
Old 12-23-2005, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe this is common (god I hope not) and I just never knew it cuz I dont go to Starbucks. But I went to starbucks tonight to get hot chocolate for the GF, and there was a [censored] tip cup sitting on the ledge at the drive thru. Now to be clear, it wasnt the McDonalds, spare change for the needy type bin. It was a plastic cup with the word "Tips" written on it.

Even worse, it was actually full of money. I prayed to baby jesus that someone would drive off with it

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you have a problem with starbucks employees getting tips? Do you feel they are overpayed?
Old 12-23-2005, 07:44 AM

being a server myself, I don't tip at starbucks, dunkin donuts, etc., because they don't SERVE me the way I do throughout an entire dining experience. Have I felt guilty at times about it? Yes, but I do a lot more [censored] than they do over the course of an hour or two than I should feel guilty about giving them .50-1.00
Old 12-23-2005, 08:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

hi didnt tip.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, Mr. Pink was the one that didn't tip. Thanks for playing, maybe next time.