Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Please analyze my play here...

Sorry, handconverter hates me. 4th hand at the table so no reads - 9-handed .25/.50 NL

Most will question my check on the turn. I put him on AQ/AJ and wanted him to think that I was scared by his flop call and maybe I had KK or QQ.

Dealer: You have been dealt [Ac Kd]
Dealer: ---- folds
Dealer: EP calls $0.50
Dealer: villain raises to $2
Dealer: lgkeeper raises to $6
Dealer: villain calls $4
Dealer: The flop is [As 4d 3c]
Dealer: villain checks
Dealer: lgkeeper bets $4
Dealer: NutzAllOva calls $4
Dealer: The turn is [Td]
Dealer: villain checks
Dealer: lgkeeper checks
Dealer: The river is [2s]
Dealer: villain bets $0.50
Dealer: lgkeeper raises to $5
Dealer: villain raises to $95.20, and is all in
Dealer: lgkeeper calls $23.75, and is all in
Dealer: Uncalled bet of $66.45 returned to
NutzAllOva
<font color="white">Dealer: villain [5s, 5c] shows a straight, Five high
Dealer: lgkeeper mucks
Dealer: villain wins the pot ($75.75) with a
straight, Five high </font>
Old 12-30-2005, 01:27 AM

Default Re: Please analyze my play here...

this should actually be moved to small stakes NL if someone wants to - thanks.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:27 AM

try the small stakes NL forum, this is a limit forum.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:32 AM

Well firstly this is a limit forum and everyone's expertise here is limit, try the small stakes NL forum

That having been said...

Your flop bet is weak, there is $14.50 + blind money in pot and you only bet $4, you're givign him about 3.5 - 1 immediate odds on your bet (not to mention implied odds which are a bigger deal in NL). At this point you are probably way ahead the overwhelming majority of the time and you should be putting in pretty stiff bets (1/2 to 2/3 of the pot would be good).

Turn check is terrible. You are still probably way ahead and are just giving him free cards to beat you, you are granting him his pot equity for free (infinite odds to beat you in a pot you are currently winning).

You watch too much TV poker. Slow playing is for BIG hands. Top pair + top kicker is NOT that big of a hand.

River, his bet is completely bizarre, .50 into a pot of $22+, it looks bizarre. You should either call it or raise stiff.

You instead raise to $5 (which is still pathetic considering the pot size)

he then pushes all in, and you read it as an attempt to steal the pot and call.

No offense but this hand was played terribly.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well firstly this is a limit forum and everyone's expertise here is limit, try the small stakes NL forum

That having been said...

Your flop bet is weak, there is $14.50 + blind money in pot and you only bet $4, you're givign him about 3.5 - 1 immediate odds on your bet (not to mention implied odds which are a bigger deal in NL). At this point you are probably way ahead the overwhelming majority of the time and you should be putting in pretty stiff bets (1/2 to 2/3 of the pot would be good).

Turn check is terrible. You are still probably way ahead and are just giving him free cards to beat you, you are granting him his pot equity for free (infinite odds to beat you in a pot you are currently winning).

River, his bet is completely bizarre, .50 into a pot of $22+, it looks bizarre. You should either call it or raise stiff.

You instead raise to $5 (which is still pathetic considering the pot size)

he then pushes all in, and you read it as an attempt to steal the pot and call.

No offense but this hand was played terribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense taken - I agree.

However, I had to put him on a range of hands and my guess with the check/call was AQ-AJ or JJ/TT. Couldn't put him on 55 with calling a 3x preflop re-raise then check-calling the turn and checkign the river. Didn't make sense. I tried to play his hand more than my own which got me into trouble.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:43 AM

Well think about it, if he has AQ or AJ he's gonna pay off your bets... so BET and make it big.

Also people like pocket pairs, even low ones. He bet out with a small pocket pair and you raised him but not much. I'm calling if I'm him every time. If he flops his set he can clean you out if you have AA/KK (once again, implied odds).

He doesn't flop his set but picks up an inside straight draw. A this point he has 6 outs to beat you. He figures that's good enough to pull the flop (cuz ur flop bet was so small) and then the turn play gave him the card to beat ya.

I also updated my original post.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:44 AM

I appreciate the feedback. I don't think it has anything to do with watching too much poker on TV. I couldn't imagine he had a 5 or any mid pair, considering his preflop and postflop decisions. My analysis of his hand directed my play and I was dead wrong. But he had 6 outs and I don't have a major problem showing a bit of weakness on the turn to make him think I don't have much. Unfortunately, he caught his card. But if he called a bet on the flop, why wouldn't he call one on the turn? I understand betting more would have won me the pot early, but I also wanted to maximize my winnings. Obviously, with hindsight being 20/20, I made the wrong play. But if he has AQ and makes a big bet the river b/c he thinks I'm weak, I've maxed out my profit on this hand.

None the less, I screwed up a bit - but I don't think it was quite as catastrophic as you made it out to be.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:56 PM

You have to think about it long run, what is the most profitable way to play this hand if you were forced to play it over and over and over again.

You have a very powerful hand and are ahead of alot of his likely holdings that he WILL you pay you off with (if he has a weaker ace, like AQ/AJ) or even if he has KK/QQ/JJ most players are too stubborn to let it go.

So the situation is fine for betting stiff and hoping he comes along, because a great deal of the time he will be putting money into the pot voluntarily.

Not every hand is meant to be played to win your opponents entire stack (although the possibility always exists, which is why NL is exciting).

You basically were counting on him to read you for weakness and then take a shot at the pot with a big bet with weaker cards.

But you need a very specific read on a player to pass up big +EV now to know he's capable and likely of doing this.

He very well might not even think about your hand, he might not be aggressive, he might not bluff period (alot of players are scared to, etc.)

Basically if you played this hand more aggressively in this exact same situation over and over you will win lots more than the tricky strategy you tried.

The guy will either have a worse ace and will probably call a big flop and turn bets ($ for u) or he has a lower pocket pair and probably folds (unless it's say QQ/JJ) then he might very well STILL call.

This situation is of course very different than if you cripple the deck. In the hand you describe AQ/AJ are very likely holdings that will pay you, if the flop comes like

AAK

then you can sandbag your AK all you want. There are no cards he could be holding that will pay you off.

Basically you slowplay when they would fold now but won't fold later. If they are gonna call now you just go ahead and bet.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:44 PM

Bet more on the flop.
Bet the turn.
Call the river. Being that you raised, definitely fold to the push. I can gaurantee that calling that is -EV.
Old 12-30-2005, 02:59 PM

Thanks for the responses...I very much appreciate the analysis.